ronaldbrown2292@earthlink.net

Dometic Rooftop A/C, Penguin 13,500BTU

I am wondering if anyone else is having problems with Dometic roof top A/c-heat pumps?

Last December, I bought two new units. the model number is 651515.301CO. The unit is a penguin 13,500BTU.

The front unit was installed by Lazydays on Dec 17, 2009. It failed on June 19, 2010.

The replacement unit was installed on July 6, 2010, and failed on August 7, 2010. It and has now been replaced (Aug 9, 2010)once again.

Now my rear A/C is not producing as much cooling as before as measured by thermometer.

The good news is that Dometic stood behind their waranty on the front units.

I have not had the back one examined by a tech yet.

Clays, RV in West Monroe, La was outstanding in their perseverance with the warranty people, and after about a week, received the front replacement unit that was to be shipped overnight from Dallas. This is the unit installed on July 6. We had a lot of problems finding a dealer that would even look at the unit. The temps were in the high 90's.

Shelburne RV Refrigeration in East Ridge , Tn. ( Chattanooga) was even more helpful on the second front replacement. Sid Shelburne, the owner, came out on a Sunday to confirm the failure, got all the relevant data, and by 10AM on Monday had authorization for a replacement unit. Since we were experiencing 100 degree temps, he volunteered to accompany me to the Dometic warehouse in Atlanta, Ga, where we picked up a new unit, and had it up and running that day. Service over and above!

How can two units fail in such a short time, one in 30 days?

The symptoms were the same, the unit was drawing about 4 amps, and the blower was working. The problem seemed to be the compressor. It didn't produce either cooling or heat.

The filters are clean. Line voltage is about 115/117 Volts. I have a surge protector on the incoming line.

Has anyone else experienced similar difficulties?

Thanks, Ron Brown, 2001 HR Imperial

I have 2 new Penguins and also after 30 days was not happy...I am new to the RV world and did not know what to expect....I have the 15K models and the noise/vibration/resonation does not allow me to sleep. I had to buy a fan for the bedroom. I am also not satisfied with the cooling. I had it down to 72 and it feels damp.

I traveled 1500 miles the day after the install....when i got to my destination and about a month or less i called Dometic....they told me not to worry they are under warranty and if they have to be replaced they will change them.

They gave me an authorized dealer to go to . When i turned on the units they appeared fine for a while....so i kept talking to the technician to keep him there....i said it will happen.....and finally there it went loud and resonating is the way i describe it....He said it should not be like that. However the problem i am having now is that Dometic told them that when they get the units back if they do not find the replacement justified then they will charge the dealer for the 2 new units. Now...the authorized dealer is hesitant....He said to me....if i change them and Dometic charges him back....then he want to charge me.....

I am not a happy camper....I do not like this scenerio.

good luck with your situation....hope all works out well for you

IMPORTANT!

you stated that your units are 13,500k and i think the same model number as mine

Mine are 651516.301 co and i was told they are the 515's and are 15,000k

are you sure yours are 13,500K