Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne77590

Chattanoga, TN to Asheville, NC

Question

Guest Wayne77590

When I plug a directions into a map system it wants to route me across the Smokeys on US-74, US-19, US-129, US-23 (Basically all the same highway).

Has anyone made this trip?

What are your suggestions?

3 answers to this question

I live just north of Chattanooga and have driven the route described. The route has one section about 15 miles from Cleveland TN beside the Ocoee river that is very crooked. It has a couple of very sharp turns, but no switch backs and no shoulder. This section is about 6 to 8 miles long, but has little elevation change in this section. Other than the 6 to 8 mile section, the road is easily navigable with a motorhome. This route is also 4 lane much of the way. If you are willing to navigate a few miles of tight 2 lane, this route is beautiful.

The easier route, and almost as scenic is to take I-75 north from Chattanooga to I-40 east to Asheville. This route should be a little quicker. One word of caution.

You mention highway 129. Be very careful that you do not get on the portion of 129 that crosses from Tennessee into North Carolina. Go to WWW.tailofthedragon.com and look at the map, you will see what I mean.

Guest 2driftrs

Wayne, it all depends on what kind of motorhome driver you are. If twisty, narrow roads don't bother you, go for it! On the other hand, if those types of roads cause bladder problems, stick to the interstate routes.

We made the trip from East of Asheville, NC to Manchester, TN last year along the same roads, with toad in tow. Route 19 between I-40 and Cherokee is not recommended for trucks, and although we took it, I wouldn't recommend it either, especially for the larger diesel pushers. The road is very narrow with lots of overhanging branches and no shoulders.

Barry

Guest Wayne77590

RPoole,

The portion of 129 you are referring to starts at Red Marble Gap, up through Robbinsville, through the Nantahala National Forest to Deals Gap. There, the Tail Of The Dragon, 311 turns in 11 miles, begins. It flattens and straightens out a few miles from Maryville, TN. I know, I've been on that highway with a much, much smaller vehicle - a motorcycle. A wonderful ride on a bike, but definitely a NOT TO DO in any vehicle over 1/2 ton as far as I'm concerned.

Barry, the Hwy -19 Between I-40 and Cherokee is North of 74/441/23 and runs through Maggie Valley. I will not be on that road.

I may just drop down to Dalton, GA, pick up US-76 over to Mineral Bluff and then GA-60 and Spur GA-60 back to 64. That would avoid the "bad" area around Ducktown.

I think I'll stop tomorrow at the TN Highway Patrol about 1/2 mile down the road and ask some questions.

Any one else?