Sign in to follow this  
chasdeb@gmail.com

Air TV reception different on each TV

We have a 2010 Allegro Red and in the beginning, when searching for local channels, reception and picture were good on both TV's. Suddenly, the bedroom TV stopped accessing all the same channels as the front one and the picture is snowy. The same applies when connected to cable, bedroom one shows the stations but picture is unclear. No problem when watching the satellite system. Any ideas?

I sounds as though the off air local channels and cable TV are routed through a switching box (common in RV's) and the cable from that box to the bedroom TV might be loose at the switching box or at the bedroom TV. If the satellite is unaffected then I would assume that the wiring for the satellite to the bedroom TV is by direct cable, not through the switching box.

So I would ask, do you have a switch box to change from different feeds (off air - cable - DVD - games)? Usually there is a single cable from that box to the rear TV. Check both ends to see that they are tight. While checking the cable attachment to the TV, note whether there is a separate cable connection for the satellite. If there is then this would explain the fact that the satellite signal is coming through undisturbed while the other signals are weak.

If both ends of the cable from the switch box are tight, then the cable itself may be damaged somewhere between the switch box and the rear TV. Tracing any damage might be very difficult. To test for damage you might hook up a separate cable from the switch box to bedroom TV. You don't have to route it right now, just lay it on the floor and connect the box to the bedroom TV. If that clears the problem then the original cable must be damaged.

There is another possibility. The problem could be in the switch box. If the test cable doesn't clear the problem then the internal wiring in the switch box or the TV connection to the cable could be the problem.

These connections can be almighty confusing so I make careful diagrams and label all cables as I disconnect them from any source. I also try as much as possible to take only one cable loose from a box or TV at a time. This isn't always possible but if you don't take careful steps you can get three or four cables disconnected and then be faced with a guessing game as which goes where.

I would also mention that every manufacturer of RV's has their own unique ways to hook up all the electronics so you may find different connections than described above. If this is the case, let us know what connections you have and don't have within your motor home.