Sign in to follow this  
kkstych@machlink.com

Texas Gulf Coast RV Resorts/Campgrounds

We are planning on visiting the Gulf Coast region of Texas during the months of February and March, 2011. Are there any campgrounds that are recommended in the area from Rockport to Brownsville? We have been reading reviews on several websites and have the Texas Travel books, but would like to check out as many resources as possible before driving all that way. We have a 38-foot motorhome. Thank you for any suggestions and advice.

Lagoons RV Resort in Rockport. (www.lagoonsrv.com) Don't miss the Fulton Mansion.

Great Food all around. Check out the lunch at the BIG FISHERMAN. Prices you wont find anywhere.

Have fun on our beautilful coast.

I would suggest the Texas State Campgrounds. Texas does an awesome job keeping their state parks and campgrounds really nice. My wife and I have been camp hosts at Goliad State Park and it is a really nice park. If you Google Texas State Parks you will find their page and it links to all the state parks. I know of two parks right on the coast one is Goose Island State Park and the other is Mustang Island State Park. The rates are really reasonable and some have really nice pull-thru sites that are full-hookup sites. Most are big rig friendly as well. If you are into fishing it is free at the state parks and you do not need a Texas fishing license. Port Lavaca has camping right on the beach which is dry camping there but I am not sure what the fee is for camping there. Hope you get this reply in time to help you out in your travels.

Guest Wayne77590

Do remember the winds along the Gulf Coast.

Hey! What's the matter with the Houston area? Lot's of CG's in this area. One I would recommend is Green Caye RV Park in Dickinson, TX. About 30 miles from Downtown Houston and the museums, zoo, etc., with lots of shopping malls. About 20 miles to Galveston and The Strand. The Blue water highway runs from Galveston to Freeport and is a nice ride.

The Galveston State Park is operational. Just a walk across the dunes to the water. Texas is one of the states where you can ride on the beach in your vehicle (do have 4WD, so much better)

Galveston to Brownsville is about 400 miles by major highways. Rockport is about half way (200 mi) from Galveston.

Happy trails.

We just stayed at Brazos Bend State Park. Not on the coast but not far. It will join other Texas State Parks as a favorite. We have stayed in a large number of prize winning state parks in Florida. Texas state parks are as good or better.

We are headed for Sea Wind on Baffin Bay near Riviera. It is a county park but operated like the big resorts in "the Valley." I can't report yet but it looks very Impressive. All the amenities of a private park and all sites are full hookup.