Sign in to follow this  
schoolsout2

XM Radio

Has anyone installed a SAT radio that needs a cable run to the roof?

I was wondering if the exposed wire is a problem? I thought I might cover it with seam sealer if need be. I plan to run the cable out the drivers door, but I would have about 18 inches of exposed wire and am afraid it would come loose.

Hi schoolsout2,

I've installed many of these radios. You have the right idea to get the antenna up on the roof. However, running the antenna wire anywhere it will get pressure put on it may result in a quick failure of the antenna. The wire is very delicate. What I do is:

1. drill a hole in the roof just behind where the antenna is to be mounted

2. run the antenna wire through the hole and down the driver's windshield pillar support (behind the molding)

3. under the dash to where the radio will be located

I epoxy the antenna directly in front of the hole drilled for the wire. There is about 1/2", or less, of the antenna wire exposed to the elements. I also put epoxy over this exposed wire and close the hole with epoxy. I've never had a failure installing antennas in this manner.

I love my XM when traveling. In my last MH and in my current MH I had the installer run the antenna wire up the side window panel and out the roof maker light that was accessible from the overhead cabinet. The antenna was fastened to the roof with silicon adhesive. The wire has about a 12 inch run and is almost invisible against the full body paint. With 3 years of use on the previous MH and 5 years on the current MH I have not had a problem, even with the MH stored outside in the Southern California Hot environment.

Good Luck, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Use a Shakespeare SRA-25 antenna. They work really well. No wires hang out and it will last forever. I like to install them on top of the front fiberglass section. It makes it easy to bring the wire straight down to the radio.