kjhein

Headlights

I have a 2005 Winnebago Journey.

I am attempting to replace a burned out headlight. I know that the bulb and socket come out the back of the assembly but it's not obvious to me how to get to it. Does the assembly have to come out the front first? If so, what holds the assembly in place.

Thanks for the input.

KJ

rvbiggs@gmail.com

Not much chance from the top unless the generator door is removed and even then it is a stretch. Best bet is from the bottom but very little room to work with.

Is there a simplier way that I'm overlooking?

Guest BillAdams

Not that this is going to be any direct help, my coach (another brand) requires the removal of a bezel around the headlight and then the entire fixture is removed to access the bulb in the back. I am able to see the bolts that hold the unit in place once the bezel is removed. It's a real pain but luckily I don't have to do it very often.

Can you move something like a fluid reserve bottle to give you a little room? If you can get your hand to the back, you don't need alot of room to do this. Remember NOT to touch the glass part of the bulb if it is a halogen bulb.If you have clean with alcohol before installing

You may want to start by speaking to Winnibago about what type of headlights are in your coach. For example, my coach has the headlights from a 2002 Buick Century. To replace the bulb in mine I must first remove the complete headlight assembly. The assembly is held in place from the rear by two white nylon "clips" which slide over a tab on the headlight assembly. I can reach mine by from under the moho and behind the front facia. Word of warning, the clips can become brittle with age and my snap when removing them. I was able to get replacements at the local GM dealership (About $12 each).

Canuck

I have replaced both headlights. Two screws loosen the headlight assembly from the front which then allows enough room to get your hand to the back of the assembly and remove the bulb.

Thanks for the input.

Kjhein,

Thanks very much for posting the solution to your issue.

It appears that very few have had to do this replacement and/or have different coaches.

Now someone else with a coach like yours will know how to do it.

Brett

I have replaced both headlights. Two screws loosen the headlight assembly from the front which then allows enough room to get your hand to the back of the assembly and remove the bulb.

Thanks for the input.

I had to replace the left low beam in my 2007 Journey last month. I also found 2 screws on the top of the fixture that, once removed allowed barely enough room to get the lamp back in fixture. However, with the limited space provided, it was extremely difficult to to get the bulb in the socket and aligned in the internal deflector in the low beam housing. I could find no other screws or connections to allow complete removal of the fixture. There has to be a better way to do this job, i.e. some way to pull the whole fixture out for bulb replacement.

There is a way to get the assembly out but I don't believe the end justifies the means unless of course the assembly itself is damaged and has to be replaced.

Although the working room is limited, I think the replacement process you and I used is the most practical. I replaced both sides while I was "in the mood" realizing they both have the same number of hours of use.

Glad you had success on your 07.

Thanks for the input.

Hey THANKS, I also have a 2005 Journey and want to replace the headlight bulbs. The headlights needed adjustment and I couldn't figure out how to get to the cable adjusters so ended up taking it to an RV dealer. At least now I can replace the bulbs myself.

Rick