dnovak5449@aol.com

Tow dolly has electric brakes, RV has air brakes

How do you connect a tow dolly with electric brakes to an RV with air brakes? The coach is an 05 Fetwood Providence. Is it possible that feature has been added to the rear plug when built and the system knows when it is connected?

BTY, new to rving. Have put 500 miles on it so far and slept in it 3 nights. Really enjoy it.

How do you connect a tow dolly with electric brakes to an RV with air brakes? The coach is an 05 Fetwood Providence. Is it possible that feature has been added to the rear plug when built and the system knows when it is connected?

BTY, new to rving. Have put 500 miles on it so far and slept in it 3 nights. Really enjoy it.

There needs to be a brake controller installed just as is used when towing a travel trailer or most 5th wheel RVs. Whether or not you already have one would require some investigation. As far as I know many coaches, at least both Endeavors we owned, already have the wiring installed to the rear plug and stubs are up under the dash to connect a brake controller. Check your owners manual to see if it indicates that they have pre-wired for trailer brake control. If your coach is ready to operate a towed unit with electric brakes, I would expect you will have a brake controller mounted under the dash where it is readily accessible for the driver to apply trailer brakes manually.

Donny,

I agree with everything Ed said. If your motorhome does not have an existing controller, do a Google search for "electric brake controller" (less the quotes) and you will see info for Tekonsha, Reese Towpower, Hopkins Reliance, Hayes, and Curt Manufacturing controllers. Also, request the wiring diagram for your coach from the manufacturer; specifically the tow connector wiring. You may have to run new wires, but it's much easier if the builder pre-installed them.

I was happy with a Tekonsha for many years in the '80's, but advances have been made in the motion sensing technology. I recommend you research all available controllers, including feedback from existing users of late model controllers.

Good luck,

Chuck