Sign in to follow this  
marchbanks

Arizona-Texas Border RV Parks

We would like to hear what others are experiencing or have heard about the RV parks along the Texas/Arizona borders?

We have heard numerous news reports about the violence related to the drug cartels in and around some of the border towns.

We enjoy playing golf and there are a number of parks that we would like to try, if safe???

Thank you

Hi marchbanks,

Welcome to the FMCA forum. Do you know any "Winter Texans"? Last week I was talking with some and they have no problem. There are even some towns, in Mexico, they travel to quite frequently for a variety of needs. It all depends on knowing where to stay and where to go or more importantly where not to go. This means one needs to know folks who stay/have been staying in this area and take their recommendations. I have no personal knowledge of this area. I do know the people I talked to are very conservative and concerned about their safety. If it was unsafe on the USA side of the border, I'm pretty sure they would not spend the winter there.

The way your post reads it is as if Arizona butts up against Texas. My first thought was that you would have to look out for those irate and forgotten New Mexican citizens. Eventually my small, seldom used grey matter figured out what you really meant by Arizona/Texas borders. I participate in three RV Forum websites and have not heard anything happening along the US/Mexico border to any RV campers.

We have been Winter Texans for the last 10 years and are currently in Edinburg, Texas, just 25 miles or so from the border. We wouldn't be anywhere else right now. It's a cool day here, the temperature is 60 degrees with cloudy skies. I can hear a lawn mower cutting grass somewhere in the park. We have flowers blooming in our garden.

Regarding the violence in Mexico, we remain unaffected by it. Some of it occasionally spills over onto our side of the border in the form of drug runners who are fleeing police. There is some crime here that may be related to that across the border but the Cartel violence is not here. We have friends who had their pick-up truck stolen off the local grocery store parking lot several years ago. It was recovered at the border crossing so it was headed to Mexico if it hadn't been stopped (the driver didn't have the fee for taking a pick-up across the International Bridge). That is the only negative personal story related to Mexico that I can relate. Our friends return to our park every year so their experience hasn't deterred them.

Do we go to Mexico? Not this year. There is one small community on the border which is a Winter Texan haunt which we will visit during the day. The community of Progresso, MX is a concentration of pharmacies, bars, markets with inexpensive goods and restaurants. On a typical day the street is full of 60+ year old Americans and Canadians shopping for a cheap haircut, a year's supply of medicines at bargain prices, dental work at rock bottom prices, maybe some cheap liquor, etc. We park our cars on the US side of the border and walk across the bridge into Progresso. We would still go to this community but will not take any trips to other communities. Starting several years ago there has been a visible presence by the Mexican military in Progresso. They have a security patrol at the International Bridge as part of their Border and Customs facility. That includes soldiers patrolling with military weapons and a machine gun post in the middle of the approach to the bridge. Their presence could make you uncomfortable but I feel it is a good sign. So far Progresso remains free of the violence which is occurring elsewhere.

In the past we have led groups on daytime bicycle tours to numerous Mexican towns near the border. Again, we park on the US side of the border and then ride bicycles across the bridge into Mexico. In one case we take a hand pulled ferry across the border into Mexico. We miss taking these trips and visiting the Mexican people who are always so friendly to us. We simply won't risk our lives until the violence in Mexico subsides.

We have just moved to Edinburg and this will be our home address for the foreseeable future. We will continue to travel during the summers but are now Texas residents, living right on the border. It's a great place to live. And... we also play golf, lots of beautiful green courses with fees in the $30 to $40 range for 18 holes with a cart! Come enjoy.

OOPS !!! So sorry New Mexicans, didn't mean to leave y'all out. We love New Mexico!! Especially those fabulous green chilies from Hatch!!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We are planning to go to Naco, Az and stay at the Turquoise RV park/golf course.