Sign in to follow this  
delster

Towing VW Jetta Sportswagon Diesel, manual

I want to buy a VW Jetta Sportswagon diesel with manual transmission. The tow guide has nothing about VWs. We suspect it is ok to tow with all 4's down. Are we right?

Guest BillAdams

Do not make that assumption. I can be a costly mistake (trust me!).

Check the owners manual for towing information, check with the manufacturer, but don't assume that a manual transmission is towable without modification.

Do not make that assumption. I can be a costly mistake (trust me!).

Check the owners manual for towing information, check with the manufacturer, but don't assume that a manual transmission is towable without modification.

What Bill said. REMCO would by the place to go for information as they specialize in making things towable. Check their website at http://remcotowing.com. Their website says "All Volkswagen 5 SPEED manual transmissions are safe to tow. The new SIX SPEED MANUAL transmission is unknown..no information is available. Check with Remco on baseplate availability." This comment relates to FWD (Front Wheel Drive), not AWD or 4x4.

Give them a call.

Steve Adams

PS. Did a quick search on RV Network. This guy http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showuser=8439 says your can is towable with the manual transmission. He adds that ROADMASTER makes a baseplate for the car.

I want to buy a VW Jetta Sportswagon diesel with manual transmission. The tow guide has nothing about VWs. We suspect it is ok to tow with all 4's down. Are we right?

I wanted to do the same. If you are referring to a 2010 or 2011, VW says no. I even contacted VW corporate and they said no. I suspcet they don't want any liability and it can be towed. That's just an assumption on my part.

Gil