Sign in to follow this  
jmgrigsby

Vegas To LA And Up The Coast to OR

Question

We have a 38 ft Class A and tow a car.

Can you suggest a route up the west coast preferably up Hwy 1, if possible and/or hwy 101.

Also give us your recommendations for good RV Parks on this route - and since my wife loves wine can you recommend some wine places to stop at?

jim

3 answers to this question

Guest Wayne77590

We took US-101 from LA to just past Klamath and then took US-199 to I-5 on in to Whidbey Island, WA, just because we wanted a change in scenery. We were in a 40ft pulling a TOAD. My wife called, with a double adjective, the ride on US-199 "frighteningly scary." I called it interesting, but I was on the inside lane. The point is that it is doable. As far as Hwy-1, I just followed the advise of others and stayed off of it with the MH, but we took day excursions in the TOAD.

If you are stopping near Eugene, OR, I can recommend the County Park. You will need to make reservations at "least" two nights in advance.

Happy trails.

Jim,

We just returned from a week along the central coast, from Newport Beach to Big Sur. Our size is similar to yours; i.e. 40' coach plus a toad.

For a first night in the LA area, you might consider the Malibu Beach RV Park right on Pacific Coast Hwy in Malibu. The park overlooks the Pacific and has fabulous sunset views. There is a small fish store and restaurant within walking distance and you can eat there or take fresh fish back to bbq at your site.

Heading north, Hwy 1 is perfectly passable as far as San Luis Obispo, and the views are wonderful along the way. Three to four hours north of Malibu, there are great full hookup spots in Pismo Beach (Pismo Dunes) and Morro Bay. However, our favorite stop this trip was at little known Avila Beach where we dry camped 30 feet from the waves and enjoyed the great sunset views. We also explored another beachside gem called Jalama Beach Regional Park. It is directly on the shore, uncrowded, and has full hookups. If you Google Avila Beach or Jalama Beach, you'll find details. Access in and out of both was fine.

Once you get to San Luis Obispo, Hwy 1 and 101 separate. Hwy 1 stays on the coast and is an easy drive as far north as San Simeon (Hearst Castle). While you are there, you might want to check the old lighthouse at Point Peidras Blancas. Tours are offered on Tues and Thurs and we would recommend it.

North of San Simeon, Hwy 1 goes to Big Sur and Monterrey and is narrow and twisty. We left the coach in Morro Bay and drove the toad to Big Sur and were glad we did. We passed another RVer with a 40'+toad along the way, moving very slowly. I spoke to him the following day in Big Sur and he said it was ok if you just take it real slow. However, the roads are under repair and are down to one lane in two spots. So, it can be done if you feel like it; but its not my idea of a vacation.

If you skip the coastal route on Hwy 1 in the Big Sur area, your drive is inland on Hwy 101 from San Luis Obispo to Monterrey. It's a pretty drive and very easy. Once you get to the Carmel/Monterrey area, the coast road is a good drive and has great vistas. We've stayed in the past at a waterfront park at Pacifica Beach just south of San Francisco. The amenities aren't great (a fancy parking lot) but the location works and you can pick up the BART system for easy tours of the city.

Heading north again, the drive is easy over the Golden Gate and up the Sonoma coast. From there its an easy jaunt to the east to access the Napa/Sonoma wine country and you'll find the roads workable.

Have a good trip!

Tim and Beth Shields

Another option suggestion near the Avila and Pismo Beach (Pismo Coast Village is our favorite) would be Morro Dunes RV Park in Morro Bay. Morro Bay has a quaint embarcadero to browse, and you could take a day trip in the toad to Cambria and San Simeon.

If you have several days to spend in Morro Bay, you could drive a ways further towards Big Sur. Be sure to stop on the way to watch the elephant seals - quite a show and it is free entertainment!

When you are ready to leave, head north again towards Cambria to Hwy. 46 which will take you to Hwy. 101 at Paso Robles.

Paso Robles has become renowned for its wine country and you will pass many wineries on Hwy. 46. Beautiful area.