doorguy

Cat C-7 Faltering

I have a Cat C-7, 330hp in an O4 Journey, chassis date is Oct 03. It has one fuel filter/water seperator, frame mounted. The coach has 22K mi. on it. This last week I changed the fuel filter with a genuine Alliance part and the air filter assembly was changed a month ago.

Occasionally, upon acceleration from a standing start, the engine will sputter, coach will move, but crawls until after about 30 seconds to 1 min. then it kicks in and runs perfectly.

I use Lucas fuel treatment at every fill up.

Any thoughts to what it could be?

Barry

Barry,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Did you have the same symptoms before the fuel filter change last week? If not, check for an air leak at the fuel filter.

If this is an on-going issue, I would suggest that you have a Caterpillar dealer check for stored codes in the engine ECM. It may quickly tell you the issue.

And, if this is just upon cold start up, many engine ECM's are programmed to allow only very limited throttle until coolant temperature starts to rise (to keep a driver from starting a cold engine and immediately going to Wide Open Throttle).

Brett

Are you sure that your unit only has the one filter?

My 2006 Winnebago Tour with Cat C-7 has two. The secondary filter is located on the top passenger side of the engine. This filter was not changed on my coach during the first two services as the mechanics could not access the top of the power unit. My rig experienced the same "faltering" that you described. I contacted Winnebago technical help, they explained how to get top access to the powertrain (part of floor in front of rear closet is removable) and the filter was changed on the next and subsequent services.

I have had none of the "faltering" in the 20,000 miles or so since changing that filter (twice).

Steve Fridley