Sign in to follow this  
HemiSuperBee

Used Diesel Mortorhome Purchase Advice

We are currently looking into buying a used diesel. Year range of 1999 to 2001. We have narrowed it down to the following. Damon Escaper w/ Spartan chassis, American Tradition, Eagle or Dream. We need 10,000 lb towing capacity. Would also like to have 330+HP.

Are there any opinions out there as far as reliability and quality goes with our choices? We looked at a few Monacos but were put off a bit. Are they OK?

This is the first time into this for us so any useful information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Hi, and welcome to the FMCA forum,

Between the Damon (now Thor) product and the Fleetwood coaches you mentioned, everyone will have their own opinions as to the manufacturer's reputations. However, since the coaches you're considering are 10-12 years old, the condition of the particular coaches in question is much more relevant than the manufacturer's reputation. In your situation, mileage, service records, usage (full time, vacation, smokers, pets), body condition, ride, options, etc. need to be considered and compared. If the coach has been stored inside, that is a big plus for many buyers. Any MHs from that era will be out of warranty, so try to test and inspect EVERYTHING (or have an independent professional do so).

There are a lot of used RVs on the market these days. Some have been well cared for while others had maintenance deferred as their owners' finances declined during the recession.

For my money, the American Eagle, Tradition and Dream seem like the better coaches. I've been in several but have driven only two. I've only driven one Damon product and wasn't impressed; but those are not the same coaches you'll be considering. So I would try to focus on the coach and not the brand.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Tim

We own a 2000 American Eagle DS and this is our first motorhome and diesel pusher. We are highly satisfied with its performance so far. Just like with any mechanical unit, there are going to be technical issues you must deal with such as routine chassis maintenance and regular coach upkeep.

Look at some of the Winnebago DP that are available. Not sure what price range you are looking at but 2005's are in the $150,000 range now and maybe even cheaper depending on model and options. Very well built and good solid dependable coaches. Take any coach you are interested in out and drive it 10 or more miles on both city and open roads. Ask if you can keep it over a weekend or a couple days at least and get it inspected by a pro. Anything you get this old will be out of warrenty but you may be able to get an extended warrenty on it for a bit more money and it is well worth it.

This is the first time into this for us so any useful information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

SuperBee, Welcome to the Forum. From your post this will be your first Motor Home. If so have you had Travel Trailer, 5th wheels or popups? If this is your first adventure into a motor home, might I suggest that you rent a MH and see if you like this style of Traveling. If you do like it you will get an idea of what you want in a MH. If you don't care for it, it will be a small investment rather then $XXX,XXX.00.

I my self have had two Monacos and dearly loved each one. They both gave and still do give us great service and comfort. If you are still looking and haven't made your purchase yet let me suggest the following Dealers for per-owned Coaches. Mr Olivers RV in McKinney, TX and Motor Homes of Texas, in Nacogdoches, Texas. Both of these dealers carry very good and clean units. :)

HemiSuperBee - great car if you have one. The Damon and the American coaches are not in the same class. The American coaches were far more expensive new and one look inside any of the three you mention should make this obvious. What you are comparing is a Plymouth with a Chrysler. We have a Country Coach, but when we were looking two years ago I was very impressed with several American coaches. As far as Monaco. Look at a few more of those. They are also great coaches. And, by the way, I am not dissing Damon at all, but the Escaper is in a way different price range new than the American lines.