Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne77590

Chipped Windshield

Guest Wayne77590

Well, I'm sure it has happened to others, and it most likely happen to me again. While traveling the last couple of weeks I picked up a chip in the windshield. Not wanting it to turn into a crack I intended to repair it. I search the Internet, and OF COURSE I was able to find information on repairing windshield chips.

Okay! Off to Auto Zone to pick up a repair kit. When I opened it up and read the instructions (almost a first for me) it appeared that there were some items missing in the kit. Well, I'll just go back to the store tomorrow and ask questions about it.

So I'm out walking the puppy in the CG and I see this Winnebago Adventure with a Saturn Toad sitting in front of it. The TOAD is stickered (is that a word) with advertisments for window repair. Hmmm!

As it turns out, it is Larry Diaz, an FMCA member I found out later, of S & L Enterprises, and specializes in Windshield Chip Repair. He travels to conventions and rallys and fixes chips for RV'ers.

Now let me tell you that there is no way I could have done the type of job that Larry did. He has all the professional equipment that looks so much better than the "store bought" repair kit I came up with. Besides doing a superb job of repairing the chip in my windshield, he is very amiable.

I can highly recommend Larry for fixing windshield chips. If you need to know where he is in relation to where you might be, call him. 904-571-7193

Oh! And I already paid him so this is not a paid advertisement, just some good 'ol word 'o mouth.

Wayne,

I assume you have insurance on your motor home. Did you know that most insurance companies will pay the total cost of chip repair? They figure this much cheaper than waiting for the big crack to develop and then replacing the whole windshield. I doesn't matter what your deductible is, they will pay full cost of the repair. If the windshield breaks they will still cover the replacement (minus your deductible of course). I have had chip repair on the car windshield about four years ago, still holding and the RV windshield last fall, also holding fine.

When the insurance company does this you call them and they arrange a person to come do the repair (on site) or in the case of the car we took it in to a local shop. Total cost for both repairs $0.00! Check with your insurance company.

Up here I can get a chip repair done for $25. It's not worth the hassle of those DIY-kits.

Here in Alberta it is not uncommon to have damaged wind shields. I had a new windshield installed on my 08 Grand Caravan, last x-mas. By the end of January I counted 18 chips. Now I have a 2 feet long crack. I just get used to it. At this point i figured it will be cheaper to replace once it gets to bad. By the time I need the next one it will be time to get a new vehicle. I should mention that it is a company car and we replace vehicle every 18 to 24 month.

Yep, Gonzo, you are right! The chip I had repaired in my motor home windshield I got just outside Edmonton! I guess I should be thankful it was only one chip! We had a great time in Edmonton. Well worth the chip!

Guest Wayne77590

Tom,

I have a receipt for the repair and I do have insurance. I had planned on calling them today. They will reimburse after the fact with proper proof of repair.

Thanks for the info.

Including Glass coverage on my RV insurance was a must have for me at $15 a year

and a $125 deductible. Just 4 months later on a trip to Oregon a crack appeared from

the edge of the molding. There was no visible chip or star.

A new one piece windshield cost over $3K. Glass coverage is nice.