Johann1956

1998 Newmar Mountain Aire (38)

Hello, all.

While looking for a diesel pusher we came across a 1998 Newmar Mountain Aire. It is a diesel, but it is not a pusher. It has a 5.9-liter Cummins engine.

The coach has 50,000 miles on it. The interior works for us, but being new at this, I hope that members on this board will comment on the quality and reliability of this model.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

John Douma

As a rule the 5.9 and the Allison package is pretty much bullet proof. The pusher or front engine location is more a personal preference ... kinda like the Ford/Chevy issue. The 50K on the unit is a big plus as far as diesels are concerned because if it was maintained even 1/2 way well it will probably outlast you. If the unit works for you and you like the price, I'd say go for it. I own a 5.9 pusher w/an Allison and bought it based more on the interior than the power plant.

Actually, there may be significant differences between a Diesel PULLER and a Diesel PUSHER other than just engine location.

Most pullers came with leaf spring suspension vs air suspension.

Many came with hydraulic brakes vs air brakes.

Most had a 4 speed Allison vs 6 speed Allison.

This clearly does not mean it would not fit your needs, but you need to determine that it WILL meet your needs.

Brett