Sign in to follow this  
BrianB

Onan Generator - Lost 20-Amp Power

It seems that my Onan 6500 NHE LP-gas generator has lost the 20-amp leg of power. The 30-amp leg works and the generator runs and sounds fine. The two circuit breakers are okay, too. Tthere is just no power on the 20-amp leg.

Anyone have any ideas of where I should start?

Hi BrianB,

Where was the measurement taken from? For me, I'd go right to the generator and take measurements there. If no power, you know the problem is in the generator. If power is exiting the generator, then follow the power to the next measurement point and so on. When you lose power, you have found the offending part.

The next step is to drop the Onan and check the circuit breakers on the gen itself. I am only two feet from them and I have no power there.

OK...I solved the problem.

The PO put in new carpeting and had to remove and replace the J-Box. When he did this he put BOTH legs of the generator output (black and black/yellow stripe) to the black wire going to the ATS. He then put one of the two available white neutral wires on the red transmission wire going to the ATS.

I rewired the black wires splitting them up to go to the black and red wires to the ATS. I then put the two incoming white neutrals to the outgoing white neutral, fired up the Onan and all is good to go. Winning!

I am just glad the PO did not wire them up so that there was damage to the Onan from running it.