TOMGRASON

American Trip

We are Tom and Anne Grason from New Zealand and we have been living full time, in our 32 foot 'King Of The Road' 5th Wheel RV for the last 5 years. We tow this with a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 and have so far traveled most of the North Island, New Zeland. We are members of the New Zealand Motorcaravan Association. Over the previous 30 years, we have traveled extensively throughout New Zealand and Australia, both in our own car and caravan, and in rental RVs.

Next year 2012 being our 40th Wedding Anniversary, we are planning a road trip across America. We plan to fly into Los Angeles then either hire or 'buy/buy back' a mid sized 4 berth motorhome, as our Sister in law, whos husband died 6 years ago, is coming with us.

We plan to drive 'Route 66' as far as Tulsa Oklahoma, then head South to New Orleans. From there we will drive to Miami Florida, then up the East Coast to New York from where we will fly home. We plan to travel for 3 Months, from 1 July - 1 October 2012.

I have been researching Companies on the net and getting prices for both options.

If there are any members out there who would be willing to hire or lease us your RV for all or part of our journey, we would be very pleased to hear from you.

As previously stated, we live full time in our own RV, we are non smokers and I was a milk tanker driver for 20 years, driving 35 Ton truck and trailer units.

We look forward to hearing from anyone who can give us any constructive criticism or advise.

Cheers,

Tom Grason

Tom,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I hope you enjoy your travels in the U.S. as much as Dianne and I enjoyed our 2 weeks (way too short a time) touring North Island, NZ. Still remember borrowing a rowing dingy from the owner of a CG and rowing out into the ocean. Dianne had to repeatedly reassure him that indeed I knew how to row-- even in surf.

Brett

Hi Tom and Anne,

A little off topic but we are just about to throw ourselves into living in a 5th wheeler full time and when I saw your blog about being on the road 5yrs I just had to join up and pick your brain. My hubby and I + 2 cats are in NZ, process of selling business and home and buying a Big Country 5th and Dodge to tow with. Want to go full timing for a few years to see our beautiful country.

So hard to find info on what to buy/live in etc....looked at various buses etc for 2 years now, and decided on 5th wheeler with tow wagon like Dodge.

Obviously you guys have it sorted and I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts. any advice you can give your be really appreciated. Its all new for us.

Cheers Lealea

Hi Tom and Anne,

A little off topic but we are just about to throw ourselves into living in a 5th wheeler full time and when I saw your blog about being on the road 5yrs I just had to join up and pick your brain. My hubby and I + 2 cats are in NZ, process of selling business and home and buying a Big Country 5th and Dodge to tow with. Want to go full timing for a few years to see our beautiful country.

So hard to find info on what to buy/live in etc....looked at various buses etc for 2 years now, and decided on 5th wheeler with tow wagon like Dodge.

Obviously you guys have it sorted and I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts. any advice you can give your be really appreciated. Its all new for us.

Cheers Lealea

Hi Lealea,

We would be only too pleased to meet with you and pass on anything you may feel we can help you with.

You can contact us directly by e-mail at tagdis@gmail.com or on my phone: 027-2478083

Cheers,

Tom