dveasey

Vehicle Instrument Panel Display Malfunction

2004 Allegro Bay on W22 Workhorse, 8.1 L gasser.

While idling in traffic waiting for street construction crew to let traffic proceed...I turned "Off" vehicle for a 15 minute period. Had been driving for 5 hours that day; last leg was approx. 1-1/2 hrs.

Upon crank-up display was blank, no idiot lights & no Christmas tree effect. Had to guess at shift position to find "Drive". Drivability was possible, albeit only a paltry 3-5 MPH. Nothing more from the power-plant. Embarrassing; was creeping forward for a pull-off and traffic backing up behind me. Found a spot, stopped, started fine after a wait period. Display back as normal. Check engine symbol lit for 6 miles before disappearing. All's fine now. OBD check revealed no error codes whatsoever. Now I'm stumped.

Had replaced Actia 2 yrs ago with newer, orange display [former had suffered pixel drop-out]. Should not be ready for a re-flash of firmware. Any thoughts on what's going on? Did the CPU have a brain fart? I'd hate to experience that again; but no OBD code revealed.

Any others out there see a similar black-out of their IP (instrument panel)?

I have not seen your situation but I have encountered loose wires in the dash that have caused the radio and back-up camera to stop working. You may want to remove the panel and see if there are any loose wires.

In this day of digital electronics it is possible for something to glitch at power on and cause problems (brain fart) and just require a restart to set it right. As a design engineer for the latest advanced military fighter there are times when starting the jet up that things just don't work right and we have to power down and restart everything again and then it is OK. I seriously doubt that there is anything wrong with your vehicle especially if it has only happened once. Most likely when you turned it off the MH was in some unusual configuration that the software programers had not accounted for so it just didn't come up correctly until you did a restart. You might check with the dealer and see if there is an update to software that they can do.

There is a manual for the cluster which will allow you to run diagnostics. You do a gauge test, warning light test, LCD test, backlighting test, speaker test, switch inputs, analog inputs, and frequency inputs.

Send me a private message and I will email it to you, as it is too big to paste into the forum.