locoengnr

Manufacturer's Warranty

I have a great offer on a new unit out of state. In an effort to get a local dealer( who states he's match any price?) to match or come close to price it's the same unit dollar for dollar, item for item in unit, which he won't.

Now get this -- I'm told by the local dealer that if I purchase this out of state unit, he is of no obligation to honor manufacturer's warranty, will not do the warranty work should a problem arise that I have to take it back to original dealer. How can he get away with this? I owned RVs in the past and never heard this nonsense.

Since the warranty for the "house" portion of the RV is covered by the RV Manufacturer, contact them for their advice concerning this dealer. It is a bit of a sticky issue. Certainly, a dealer could give preferential treatment to customers who purchased from him. Done all the time. As to not working on an out of state purchase at all-- again contact the manufacturer.

Even if the RV dealer sticks by his statement, it does not impact chassis warranty, since you would rarely go to an RV dealer for chassis work.

Brett

Guest BillAdams

It's pretty common to see dealers threatening purchasers with "we won't work on it". While they really cannot do this if they want to be a dealer for that particular product, they certainly can make it nearly impossible for you to get any service done at their facility. "We are booked". How are you going to argue with that. "We have an opening on Tuesday, 25 weeks from now." The dealers don't get paid as well for warranty work as they would for regular service so they make this part up by the profit they made on the sale of the unit. You need to determine what is right for you. If you are going out full-time you will likely never see this dealer again so what-the-heck! If this is going to be the guy you have to deal with year after year you might want to consider negotiating a compromise. If the pricing is many thousands of dollars difference you are going to have to serious consider the lower offer. If it's a narrow margin I would consider paying a bit more to "my dealer" as good insurance.