fmcwave

RVs In The Wind

post-220-0-58490700-1308655036_thumb.jpg post-220-0-31003200-1308655037_thumb.jpg post-220-0-97014800-1308655034_thumb.jpg

Wind is not the friend of RVs, as is evident from a recent thunderstorm in Oklahoma. Estimated wind speed was 80 MPH, which left most units untouched, but these were at right angles to the wind direction. The Rockwood just rolled on its top without much fanfare. The Coachmen was also attempting to roll but was "caught" by the pontoon boat. The Gulf Stream just disintegrated while the floor remained in place. Glue, plywood and some staples are no match for weather.

Be aware of conditions in your area. When you check into a park, ask about shelters. Many parks offer no warnings or protection, so you have to stay informed.

Wave

Thanks for the pictures. During stormy weather there is not substitute for a sturdy shelter. These pictures are from an open area. There are also dangers in forested campgrounds. Over the years I've read many stories about trees being blown down onto tents and campers. A good size tree or tree limb can do serious damage to RV's. This is another good reason to flee to safer locations when severe weather is forecast. I'm up early this morning monitoring approaching storms. These look to be benign but I watch for the watches and warnings to pop up as the storms develop.

Last week we bailed out at about 5:00 a.m. I got out of bed when I heard the rain hitting the roof. Needless to say, everyone in the mid-west has been on pins and needles since the Joplin tornado. We've had no shortage of strong and severe thunderstorms this spring. Anyway, when I got the WeatherBug up it indicated right away that there was a severe weather warning. That turned out to be a tornado warning so I woke Louise and we headed across the driveway to my daughters home. They leave the basement door unlocked so we have access during just such incidents. Louise had the flashlight and I brought the computer so we could monitor the situation. Once in the basement we picked our way through toys in the kids play room and found chairs to settle into. About that time, the alarm in the house went off. It seems that my son-in-law had heard voices in the basement and then saw the flashlight beam. He set the house alarm and then set it off to scare off the intruders. Louise went upstairs to inform them that it was us in the basement. They shut off the alarm. The alarm company called and they assured them that it was a false alarm. Then everyone joined us in the basement. We've been laughing about it ever since.

Stay safe!