1Sammiedog

Norcold Refrigerator Rescue

I have owned several motorhomes over the last 30 years, all with their share of problems of one kind or another. In the past several months I've followed post after post about the failures, fires and recalls on the Norcold refrigerators. This has been of major concern for me and my family as we love to travel in our motorhome and up until recently have felt reasonably safe while traveling. With all the concern about fires and patch job recall fixes on the Norcold fridges, I decided to order one of the Amish Built Cooling Units from RV Cooling Unit Warehouse and do the conversion myself.

Now please understand, I'm no spring chicken, but I do like to try to do as much maintenance on my Winnebago Journey as possible. So I figured I would try and tackle the job myself. I ordered the unit on a Monday and picked it up on Friday. By that time I had already pulled the fridge out and had it laying on the floor of my coach. I took my time over a period of several days (just wanted to do it right the first time) and also make a few modifications.

Along the way I took pictures of the work and made a short slideshow video to post on "YouTube" so that all who want to see what is involved in this conversion may do so.

I now have an excellent working refrigerator that has been holding a temperature of 34 degrees for the last four days on a setting of #4 with an outside temperature of 90 in the shade. The installation of the SS-30 Halon Remote Fire Extinguisher is an added bonus in that me and my wife and little doggie can sleep comfortably without one eye open worrying about a potential fire.

Thanks,

1Sammiedog