cliffmattson

Onan 7500 Diesel Genset Stops When the Coach Moves

I have a 1999 American Dream with an Onan 7.5 KW diesel generator that runs fine when the coach is stationary. As soon as the coach moves the generator will stop running. There are no blink codes and no external fuel leaks or any evidence of loose fuel lines that may cause air to enter the system. Also if the coach sits for a few weeks I have to prime the system (hold the start button in the stop position to run the fuel pump)before it will start. Not sure if there is any connection between the two, but I thought I should mention it.

I checked the engine oil level to be sure it was not low enough to cause a loss of oil pressure when in motion.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Has this always been the case or is this a change in the behavior of the generator? Have you owned the coach since new or is this a used coach you just purchased?

If this is always the case, there may have been some mistake in wiring when the coach was manufactured. If it is a recent change then some kind of fault has developed. The generator will shut down for a variety of sub-standard indicators including coolant level and temperature as well as oil level. There could be others I don't know about. You would expect a blink code of some kind for any sensor problem but the code function of the processor my be at fault.

It is not unusual to have to prime the generator when it has been idle for weeks. At least that is my experience in the several we have owned.

Thanks for your reply!

I have owned the coach since new and this is a new phenomenon. I'll check the coolant level. Didn't think of that one. There are no blink codes, and to my knowledge nothing else has changed. The coach has about 78,000 miles on it.

In our new (to us) coach, I was familiarizing myself with the different switches on the dash. I turned the aux battery switch off, and the generator (Onan Quiet Diesel 7500) died immediately. I haven't verified yet, but assume there is an electric fuel pump that only runs off the house batteries? If that is the case, a loose connection somewhere in your coach could cause the issue you describe. I hope someone with more experience will let us know how these things work.