salsifyman

Treating and Preventing Rust

I have a 1999 American Dream coach that has been driven in snow and salt and I am working on getting rid of the undercarriage rot as I post this reply. Fortunately there is enough structural integrity that I can cut out the bottom of the rotted tubes that run the length of the outside edges of the coach. Then I am brushing with Rustoleum brown primer. I purchased coils of aluminum that are normally used for roof flashing. It is 6" wide and comes in 10 ft. rolls. I am attaching this material with self tapping screws to cover the opening created where the rusted tube was. Then I am using Great Stuff expanding polyurethane foam to fill the cavities. After the foam sets I've been trimming any material that seeps out of small openings and then spray the whole thing with rubberized undercoating. This is nasty, dirty work, but I'm pretty sure it will stop any further deterioration and seal the areas that were rusting away.

If anyone has got other ideas I'd sure like to hear them.

Thanks!

Guest Wayne77590

Naval Jelly! Most Auto Stores carry it. Paint it on, wash it off, let dry, paint with a good rustoleum paint. It is better, as the instructions will state, to scrape and/or wire brush as much off as possible, then treat with the Navel Jelly and paint.