Sign in to follow this  
chucknewman

Calcium In Hot Water Heater

I purchased a new anode rod for my Seaward marine HWH, part of the hydronic system SMC installed in the coach. After years of Arizona hard water, and years of neglect, I found the interior of the HWH looks like the Crystal Caves I visited as a kid. Large, thick calcium deposits inside the tank walls, and where the original anode rod used to be.

So I can either replace the tank or try to give it several white vinegar treatments to dissolve the calcium and flush out.

The inner tank is made from Alcoa Alclad aluminum. Will long term calcium deposits do harm to this aluminum lining? If that is the case, I have only one viable option.

Recommendations?

Thanks,

Chuck

What you have are calcium carbonate deposits. I'm not an expert but don't believe that it presents a problem for an aluminum tank. It will cost you a gallon of vinegar, maybe two. I'd give it a try. For the investment, your potential return is great. The cost of a new water heater is HUGE by comparison! If it leaks, it leaks and you can replace it. Of course from now on you'll drain and flush twice a year... right?

Absolutely Tom. In fact I've been researching RV water softeners and I have decided to go that route, once I resolve the HWH issue.

My concern is the HWH is mounted above the diesel furnace. Water leakage in that unit could be a real issue (dollars and parts availability), so I'm leaning toward HWH replacement at this time. Then going with the water softening. Both combined are considerabnly less than replacing the furnace due to water damage.

But as always Tom, I do appreciate your input. Keep us posted on the new fridge operation and maintenance over time. That's another investment we're looking at.

Chuck