Sign in to follow this  
Koliver

Portland To Bend Via Route 26

Question

Has anyone traveled this route? Is the climbing up Mt. Hood worth doing, to get the scenery? We will be trying to make Bend by 5pm, from Coquitlam BC, so this may add too much time to an already long day. I will go this way if it is worth while.

4 answers to this question

We have driven it several times in our coach/toad on the way to FMCA Conventions in Redmond from the Oregon coast. It is one of the easier routes over the Cascades.

Thanks Brett. My nav program suggests I-5 to Salem, then over the Cascades, as a quicker route, but this one looks more interesting.

I would suggest that you break the trip in half. Coming down I-5 southbound, go around the east end of Portland Via I-205 and over night at Clackamette Park at the confluence of the Williamette River and the Clackamas rivers in Oregon City. It is a Clackamas County Park. As a reference, as you exit I-205, the park is behind the McDonalds across McLoughlan Blvd. Easy to get to and set up, and the best part is it is only $20 a night for 30 amp electric & water (sorry no on site dump, it's over by the boat launch). For Satellite antenna aiming considerations, select one of the North end spots. To continue your trip to Bend, backtrack about 5 miles north bound on I-205 to the Boring/Damascus exit, that is a short cut to Hwy 26 going to Bend. That shortcut puts you on Hwy 26 south of Gresham.

Already done the trip, but thanks for the suggestions. I was surprised (pleasantly) by the quality of the road, all the way to Bend. The scenery is impressive too. Found a great place to stay in Bend, then were on our way to SoCal. Now in the sun for a month or so, before heading back home for Xmas. I can't say i like the freeways around LA. The closer you get to LA, it seems, the worse the roads, and the more people on them.