Sign in to follow this  
dmccanna

New Dish Network and KVH Issues

This post is only for those individuals that have subscribed to Dish HD and are using a KVH satellite (or any other satellite dish that requires 61.5.)

As everyone with Dish Network are aware, they have, (actually had) three satellites that were used to pick up both their standard definition and high definition. About 1/2 of the HD channels were on sat 61.5.

KVH dishes are capable of picking up 110, 119, 129 and 61.5. If a person is within the “eastern arc” and specifically Southern GA and all of Florida it is required to switch from 129 to 61.5 as 129 is too low on the horizon and an adequate signal is usually impossible. This is also true for the “western arc” Rio Grande Valley and some parts of Southern Texas, that also require 61.5.

As of October 5th Dish has migrated all of the HD channels from 61.5 to 72 and 77. I can still locate 61.5 but am unaware of what standard definition programming is still on that satellite.

I was informed by Dish that they decided to move the channels to 72 and 77 and if I could not receive these satellites I am “just out of luck.” According to them and their contract they reserve the right to change your programming and delete if they want and the subscriber is still obligated to pay for the service they no longer can receive. They also informed me that if I was unhappy with losing my channels I can terminate but I will still have to pay their termination fee.

Supposedly Dish is monitoring the complaints they receive and can reverse their decision giving us 61.5.

I spoke to customer service at KVH and was told the R5SL is not capable (the LNB has to be changed) to pick up 72 and 77. I should have asked if the R6SL is capable but I believe there is no difference in the LNB’s used on each.

As a note you can still go into programming and “see 61.5” but as I said I am unaware what other channels are still on the satellite. They do make it a little difficult using their line cards to see what you are missing. Maybe that is on purpose, maybe not! I only know because the stations disappeared on my menu. I DO NOT KNOW if I am missing standard definition programming as we don’t watch anyways.

I mention this as they are monitoring the complaints (SUPPOSEDLY) and it may behove those who pay for HD service to check what they have left and to complain. If you know of others in the same situation it may be worth the time to pass this information along.