Sign in to follow this  
LarrySchramm

Diesel Fuel - Diesel vs. Premium Diesel

Last weekend we stopped at a truck stop in northern Michigan to refuel and noticed two types of fuel available: Diesel and Premium Diesel. The store clerk could not tell us the difference. Does anyone know the difference ?

Larry and Sally

2012 Phaeton

2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

#2 diesel is a summer fuel with a lower cetane rating. #1 is a winter grade, I tend to avoid #2 as it has only caused problems for me, stalling and hard starting. Even at major truck stops where I buy my fuel, I still try to purchase #1. Its hard to get #1 in the summer or Southern states as they really have no need for it, In the northern states they usually don't get winter fuel in until November. Think of it as a octane rating for gas. Just my 2 cents, Smokeater75

This is from the Banks Power Site:

"The refining companies are well aware of the starting problems associated with diesels in cold weather, and they usually “winterize” their diesel fuel by mixing 15-20 percent No. 1 diesel with the conventional No. 2 diesel in cold climates. This improves the volatility of the fuel and reduces the cloud point to slightly lower temperatures. At this point, we should discuss the differences between the two grades of diesel fuel. Diesel No.1 and No.2 are the two common grades of diesel fuel. No. 2 diesel is by far the most widely used since it provides the most energy per gallon for improved power and mileage, and the highest lubricity for the fuel injection pump. Since it is a heavier distillate than No. 1 diesel, No.2 diesel is usually a few cents per gallon cheaper too. Some diesel engines are designed to operate specifically on No. 1 diesel, especially if the engine will be subjected to frequent starting and stopping, but No.1 diesel has several disadvantages. First, it provides less lubricity than No. 2 diesel, which can prove troublesome for some fuel injection pumps, and second, it contains roughly 95 percent of the heat energy of No. 2 diesel. And as we just mentioned, it’s a little more expensive too."

Guest BillAdams

That's an interesting post as my Prevost has a label that says #1 diesel recommended....#2 diesel acceptable. In 10+ years of travel we have only come upon #1 diesel a couple of times and it was substantially higher priced. We have run on #2 "forever" (right at 200,000 miles since 1999) without issue.

Thanks for the info Brett, I should have mentioned that the main reason I try to stick with #1 diesel is the -40 temps we have here in January. If I get caught with #2 in my tank the waxing is so bad that it will not start. Until my wife and I can get down south earlier I don't have alot of options. Thanks again. Smokeater75

Yup, #1 or winter blend is critical at those temperatures. Not really an issue for us in S Texas.

But, for those who fill in the summer or fall (i.e. summer blend diesel fuel) and will be storing over the COLD winter, add an anti-gel. Virtually every Walmart stocks it-- PS seems to be their brand of choice.

Guest BillAdams

Ah, yes! Temps would make quite a bit of difference. We are lucky enough to be able to travel where we can avoid those kinds of extremes.

Add 1 Qt of Marvel oil in 100 gallon Diesel No.2 in winter time and storage time.. I had no problem with start up with my 2000 Holiday Rambler Cat engine and also my 1992 Dodge Cummins engine in cold weather.