I am considering trading my GMC Yukon for a Toyota 4Runner as my towed vehicle. Does anyone have any information on towing a 4Runner? I know there are several 4 wheel drive and transmission options, which is best?

Hi ghhusky,

Go to REMCO. They have charts that will tell you the different configurations and what, if any modifications are needed.

I tow a 2002 4Runner 4WD and must use a drive shaft disconnect. As Gary said above, Remco is THE place to go. http://www.remcotowing.com/ As I understand it, all electronic 4WD vehicles must use a drive shaft disconnect. Mine has been trouble free since 2002 - with about 40K miles towing between two different coaches and several times across the US. That is until today! I had trouble getting the drive shaft to connect after a long tow. Found out that two small parts called shift blocks are worn and won't let it fully engage. Remco is sending the two parts ($40) and about 30 minutes will be needed to replace them. Not bad for that long.

You should also check the January issues of FMC. Go to the year of the 4Runner you're looking at. The January issue has the complete list of approved vehicles each year.

The following is my experience, and does not relate directly to your question. However, it may give you some information that might be useful.

When I considered towing my 1993 Land Cruiser I asked around, and was told four down towing was not recommended. I asked several mechanics that know this driveline very well, and their comment was: "If it was mine I would and not worry, but I will not tell you to do it because I do not want to buy you a transfer case or transmission." So, with that in mind, I decided if I ruined the Land Cruiser, whatever I replaced it with would work just fine.

I have towed the Cruiser about 15,000 miles, and have had no issues with it at all. It has a three position transfer case, operated by a shift lever in the cabin, so I know the gears are mechanically disconnected in Neutral. I shift the transfer case into Neutral, then put the transmission in Park to tow. There are no electronic switches that need to be switched to operate the transfer case. Some later Land Cruisers use an electronic switch on the dashboard to operate, and I would hesitate treating them this way.

Driveshaft disconnects are foolproof and protect the drive train from wear, and when I get a new 4 Runner, I will probably go that route,. I will keep the vehicle a long time and the cost can be justified. My old Land Cruiser probably does not have that much life left in it, though it tows just fine as it is now.

Thanks to all of you for your information. From what it looks like, the 4Runner with a V6 and the 4 wheel drive (not all wheel drive) would make a good choice. I will contact Toyota next and see what they have to say!

I tow a 2002 4Runner 4WD and must use a drive shaft disconnect. As Gary said above, Remco is THE place to go. http://www.remcotowing.com/ As I understand it, all electronic 4WD vehicles must use a drive shaft disconnect. Mine has been trouble free since 2002 - with about 40K miles towing between two different coaches and several times across the US. That is until today! I had trouble getting the drive shaft to connect after a long tow. Found out that two small parts called shift blocks are worn and won't let it fully engage. Remco is sending the two parts ($40) and about 30 minutes will be needed to replace them. Not bad for that long.

So for the really late inquiry. New to the forum and also a new MH owner. I also have a 2002 4Runner and would like to set it up with the Remco disconnect drive shaft. I was quoted $1350 from Camping World, but I am looking for other quotes now. I do have a question in regards to lubrication. After doing some research about this issue some folks were talking about the need to add a lubrication pump to the tranny. Did your install require this? Also intertested in what brand tow bar and plate you went with.

Thanks

Xjaywalker

xjaywalker,

If you are around the Dallas, Texas area go see Drive Shaft King. David will go over board to accomodate you. David just installed a Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect on my Chevrolet 1500 Ext Cab P/U. If you have an aluminum drive shaft they will have to make you a new D/S. If it is steel he will modify your shaft.

On my truck he had to make a new drive shaft out of steel and install a cross member to hold a carrier bearing. David also uses a PTO cable instead of the cable that Remco Provides. It is much stronger. As far as oiling or greasing the unit David said that all I needed to do was every once in a while to spray the whole thing with WD-40. WD-40 will clean the unit of grease and grime. No oil required.

FYI, David explained that for years GM had a 2 peice drive shaft on their longer vehicles. This was because the very long steel shaft were very hard to balance. GM found that if they went with a large dia. aluminum shaft it was easier to balance and could use a one peice shaft. My truck had aluminum and that was why he installed the two peice with a carrier bearing.