Sign in to follow this  
cdegraff

Standards For Used Recreational Vehicles

Florida and I think other states also have a law that states that "Each used recreational vehicle manufactured after Jan1, 1968 and sold or offered for sale in this state by a dealer or manufacturer shall meet the standards of the Used Recreational Vehicle Code".

That sounds great but the problem I have is that I can't seem to find out exactly in plain English what that means. If you buy a coach, like I did, and later find out that it's full of problems that should have been addressed by the dealer what recourse do you have? Anyone buying a used motor home would benefit from this information.

Does anyone have the specifics of this code?

Are you talking about RVIA: http://www.rvia.org/ ?

This has to do with manufacturing standards and is a voluntary organization to which most RV manufacturers belong.

Not aware of any tie to the used market or governmental ties.

Member manufacturers affix a small oval emblem stating that their coach meets the standards of the RVIA.

This wording comes from the 2011 Florida Statutes Chapter 320.8232 "Establishment of uniform standards for used recreational vehicles....".

I don't know if those standards are the same as RVIA.

To go back on a used RV dealer in Florida a person would have to know what that statute meant. That's what I'm trying to find out.