Sign in to follow this  
aztec7fan

Skiing in Colorado

I'm thinking of taking the motorhome skiing this winter and staying near a ski area where I can use shuttles to get around the area. I would like to find a place where I can plug in, so the heater and other appliances won't drain the batteries. So far, the only place I can think that's open in the winter Tiger Run Resort in Breckenridge. Does anyone have any other suggestions on where to stay?

I would highly recommend Red River, New Mexico. We liked it much better that the longer commutes from a Colorado RV park to the ski slopes. It's located just south of the Colorado border, but still in the Rockies. It's on the back side of the Taos ski area. The park is Red River RV Park. They offer full hookups during the winter and there is a ski slope shuttle that continuously circles back to the park throughout the day. It is a small park along the river, but the owners are great hosts and it's a great location from which to ski with a motorhome. We enjoyed two weeks there a couple of years ago in our 40 ft. MH during temperatures as low as -22. They don't want the water hose and sewer connections left hooked up, but the water connection is frostproof and can be used at any time to fill your water tank and you can dump right at your site.

We had two feet of snow while there and it was a great ski vacation. Just be sure that your motorhome bays are heated. I put an extra ceramic heater in the basement to provide sufficient heat for it, even though my bays are normally heated.

The town of Red River is small, but a very nice place ski resort town to spend a winter ski vacation.