Sign in to follow this  
wolfe10

Travel In Mexico with 2007 And Newer Engine

I just got off the phone with my contact at Caterpillar Corporation on another matter.

When I called, he was just finishing a conversation with the owner of a newer coach in trouble in Mexico.

As I think all of us know, ALL engines (Caterpillar, Cummins, etc) built after 1/1/07 (this is ENGINE build date, not chassis or coach build date) require ULSD. Repeat, all diesel engine built after 1/1/07 require ULSD fuel. ULSD fuel has less than 15 PPM Sulfur.

The call was from a guy with a post 2007 engine in Acapulco-- WAY more than the range on ULSD roundtrip from the U.S. And ULSD is not available in Mexico with VERY limited exception (like right along the U.S. border where some of the towns in Mexico get fuel from the U.S.). 500 or more PPM Sulfur Mexican diesel "AIN'T" the same!

He also pointed out that there was not a single dealership in Mexico trained on the 2007 and newer emissions engines (Suspect the same thing for Cummins, etc) since they do not have these engines in Mexico.

Just FYI.

OK Brett, what happens when you run a newer engine on LSD instead of ULSD? Will it simply shut down? Will a small mushroom cloud tell you that you have a much more serious problem?

Koliver,

Sorry, I don't have any first hand information on any of the 2007 and newer diesels-- heck, mine Caterpillar engine was built in 1992.

It may (or may not) be similar to running any post 1975 automobile equipped with catalytic converter on leaded fuel. This generally resulted in a rather expensive repair including oxygen sensor(s) and new converter.

Brett