CatholicDads@msn.com

Unmarried with children

I am getting divorced, and will have my children (ages 3 and 5) three days per week. Given the divorce, I've re-evaluated my life and I am thinking about getting an RV (22 feet), and taking the children to local beaches, parks, etc., etc. to teach them about nature, fellowship and the benefits of being unattached to material things.

I anticipate doing online teaching to generate income, thereby allowing for future travel. For the time being, I think I can live in my RV close to my current four day per week job.

Thoughts?!

Hi CatholicDads,

Welcome to the forum. You are going through a traumatic experience. With regard to a RV purchase or any other major decision, consider doing nothing for 1 year. Let the dust settle. Then proceed slowly.

Hello CatholicDads!

Welcome to the forum.

Gary has some good advice for you, don't make any hasty decisions. The divorce is a big change and you need to adjust to that and evaluate your life again after six months or a year. I can say that there are a lot of people who are moving into RV parks as an alternate to living in a home or renting an apartment. I think the current economic conditions have influenced much of this. If you find that living in an RV in an RV park or other location works for you, go for it. You can use it as you expected to help your children learn about the outdoors. Remember that an RV is a depreciating investment. You will likely only get a fraction of the original value out of your RV when you decide to sell or trade it. That applies if you take good care of it and maintain it carefully. If you don't do this, it will depreciate further and be worth little. Right now there are many RV's for sale at a fraction of their original price, good for you as a shopper but bad for you as a seller!