Sign in to follow this  
cwmodlin1

2000 Fleetwood Bounder Electrical System Faults

I have a 2000 Fleetwood bounder 39Z. It has a Freedom 20-12 inverter charger.

When I switch from internal power of the 7.5KW Onan to external power I will get a fault on the Freedom Remote control Panel. Turning on the generator and letting it switch back to the Gen seems to clear this fault. I have also had this happen in the middle of the night for no apparent reason.

Turning on the Gen and switching over to the internal power again removes the fault. I am a retired EE and suspect this could be some spike on the line and thought about adding MOV's Metal Oxide varistors to see if this eliminates the problem. Any ideas or suggestions. Just wondered if this has happened to anyone else?

cwmodlin1,

Welcome to the Forum.

Does this occur at different Parks or just 1? I don't know if there are any places where the power is still the old Delta System. I know that it will spike at the most opertune times. Check with the your Inverter Mfg. and see what they have to say. Also check your power cable and the plug on the coach.

Some times the connections become loose over time and they can also oxidize. A loose or correded connsction can give you a problem. :unsure:

We have the same model inverter. Two years older. I haven't had any "faults" via the remote, but otherwise the inverter/charger is full of ripple and noise. On one TV with a cheap power supply you can hear the noise and see 60 Hz and 120 Hz hum bars on the screen. And as you would expect, that all varies somewhat depending on the output loads, both the AC and DC side of the inverter. The ripple and noise increases when battery charging to the extent the A/D converters in cheaper multimeters cannot scale the RMS properly.

We have a new Magnum 2800 in storage and plan to swap it for the Freedom while snow birding this winter. It has far more programming versatility than the Freedom unit. I don't think the latter would even make a good boat anchor.

What is the fault condition? Does the Freedom turn off on it's own, or something else?

If you have some MOV's you can try a simple transverse and common mode line filter on the AC input. I used GE V150LA20A MOV's for years and they worked great in diverse applications. But I doubt it will help your condition. And if it does, that tells you something about your Freedom unit.

Chuck