Sign in to follow this  
jaf722

Winter Travel to Florida

Question

We have a 40 ft pusher and because of a change in circumstances, will be leaving from New York and traveling to Florida in a few days. We plan on taking a few days to reach Florida, then would like maybe 3-4 total stops on the Atlantic & Gulf Coasts of FL, not going any further South than Port St. Lucie in the East and Sarasoto in the West. We should start our return trip around the end of February. Have not RV'ed to Florida before and we usually like to free-wheel it since our travel times are always varible making reservations ahead of time a problem. I know there are a significant number of RV sites in FL., but don't know how crowded it is down there in January-February. Would like to stay close to the ocean on both coasts and under $80/night, if possible. Is this possible or should I try to make reservations ahead of time? Any suggestions for RV Resorts that fit this bill?

Thanks for any help you can give.

7 answers to this question

Most of the RV parks that I have stayed in on the East Coast have spaces alotted for transient travel, meaning you can stay a day or two without a reservation. In my experience its easier during the week than on the weekend.

Guest BillAdams

Florida? Water? Deep wallet? You're in!

Were you looking for stops along the way or just locations to stay in FL?

Since my wife is nervous enough just traveling in a 40 ft. RV (only 1 yr. experience), I am not yet towing a car. So, we like to stay within walking distance to the ocean when possible. I used $80/day since a quick scan of the RV sites close to the ocean in FL looked like that was a good estimate. However, I'm not against paying LESS THAN that amount.

Any help with RV sites going down from Albany, NY to FL would also be greatly appreciated. I thought we would make 2 stops before entering FL going down Rt. 95. One stop before Washington DC to avoid going throught DC in heavy traffic. Then an early start to get through DC, with the next stop somewhere off Rt 95 in mid-South Carolina (doesn't have to be close to the water). Then get into FL. and stay around a week or more somewhere like St. Augustine or somewhere about 50 miles N or S of where Rt. 4 intersects Rt. 95. Then take Rt. 4 down to the Tampa, St. Petersburg, Sarasota area, or maybe as far S as Ft. Myers. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the information. When at all possible, I try to travel on weekdays rather than weekends. I also try to not travel through major city hubs during rush hours. It isn't always possible, but I try.

We like Florida State Parks. There are a number of them that have full hookups and can accommodate big rigs (jonathan Dickinson, Lake Louisa, Rainbow Springs, Topsail Hill, etc). In general I find that state parks give you more elbow room than private parks. Granted you don't have club houses, activities that you would have in private grounds but I wouldn't use those any way. The most we have paid was $32 and that was at Topsail Hill that used to be a private resort. There you even have a tram that takes you to the beach, miles of bicycle or hiking.

Depending on how far you are from Albany you may want to consider I-88 to I-81 to I-77. There is a lot less traffic than I-95, no tolls and spectacular scenery. This may be less stressful on your wife.

Thanks for the information. It was helpful. Unfortunately, because of the weather, we will probably go down I 95. Taking I-88 to I-81 to I-77 through the mountains may be more risky based on the weather forecast.