Sign in to follow this  
Cl7aude1

Tag Weight Distribution Error on 1992 HR Imperial 33'

I have a 1992 HR Imperial 33' on a Ford F-53 Chassis. 7.5L EFI V8 460.

I have not weighed any tags or MH yet. Hopefully, I will have this done soon.

Purchased 8 New Wrangler HT LT235/85R16E June 2009

The HR Owner's Manual indicates:

GVWR 18,000

GAWR-Front 6,000

GAWR-Rear 11,000

GAWR-Tag 5800

GCWR 25000

The Driver Side Placard indicates:

GVWR 18000

GAWR-Front 6000

GAWR-Rear 4600

GAWR-Tag 9400

No GCWR on Placard

My concern is the Placard, which I thought is supposed to be the Official Weight rating scale, indicates that the Tag Axle should be bearing more weight than the Rear Dually. The Owner's Manual looks to be the correct weight to follow. Any suggestions or comments would greatly be appreciated.

If you have a chasssis manual, it may state the design weight ratings of the front and rear axles which might confirm the manual is more accurate than the placard. The tires will also correspond roughly to the axle weights, so by tire capability the drive axle should carry more weight than the tag.

You will want to confirm this: Goodyear spec shows the HT LT235/85R16 to have a max load of 3,042lbs@80psi. So, 2 front tires are close to the GAWR Front, 4 tires are close to the manual's GAWR Rear, 2 tires on the tag are over the manual rating but no where near the placard rating.

Bear in miind your overall limiting number is the GVWR in which both agree and this is less than the combined axle ratings and a lot less than the combined tire ratings. The GCWR actually sounds a little high for a Ford chassis, but the 7.5 is a beast. If you are planning to tow, you defintiely want brakes on whats being towed as the reason for the low GVWR is probably stopping power of the coach brakes.

My thoughts. Hope they help. Be safe.

Thanks for your help.

Unless the numbers on the Placard should be reversed and definately make more sense, ie: Rear 9400 and Tag 4600, I believe the Manual Weights would be the ones to follow. Wouldn't the numbers be okay for the GVWR and all GAWR's the Placard numbers were switched?

Thanks again...

Had another thought or two.

Did you just acquire this coach and also just purchsed tires with a date stamp of June 2009 (or tires bought in June '09)?

Do the manual and the placard agree on tire size?

Coach purchased mid 2009. New tires November 2009 and tires are dated 3209, 3309, and 3509. Chassis Manual indicates:

GVWR 17000

GCW 25000

Front 6000

Rear 11000 with NO mention of TAG axle.

Dana 80 Full Floating 11000, whatever this is, may be the Tag?

Still searching between Chassis Manual, Motorhome Manual, and Placard for differences. The Chassis Manual indicates 17000 GVWR just to confuse me more.

OK. Good that you have experience with your rig and tires. Depending on the miles on the tires, if they are wearing evenly would be a good indication of good loading.

The GVWR cannot be greater than the combined axle ratings which is why the chassis manual states 17,000.

On the placard numbers, two tires cannot carry the placards stated tag axle rating, so would make sense the numbers were reversed (my opinion only)

Using the placard numbers, the GVWR is still less than the combined axle ratings.

What would probably be ideal is to distribute weight to where each axle is carrying the same percentage of its rating and the total is GVWR or less.

Using the tire ratings of single = 3042lbs and dual = 2778lbs the tires can carry 23,280lbs on four singles and 2 duals (4 tires in 2 duals).

The calculated percentages based on tire rating are: single = 13.07% (3,042/23,280) and dual = 11.93% (2,778/23280)

Now apply the percentages to the GVWR:

Front = 4704lbs (13.07%x18000x2)

Rear = 8591lbs (11.93%x18000x4)

Tag= 4704lbs

The only number here that is above the choices is the 4704 on the tag which the reversed placard number is 4,600

I have this worked out in my head. I hope it makes sense on paper. Oh yes, please double check my math :-)

Briarhopper:

All tires look good with no wear differences between each other. I appreciate your time explaining to me the dynamics of tires and axles. I will attempt to process this in my basic brain. I have wanted to get these numbers figured out for a long time now and you have helped me quite well. I will also be calling the Florida DOT and find out if they offer individual Tire/Axle weighing.

Allegiance40x:

Didn't even think of calling them because of the age of my Coach. I will call and get information from HR and Ford.

I will post when I get more infomation.

Thanks again...