Sign in to follow this  
Cl7aude1

Towing 2001 Range Rover

I have a 2001 Range Rover. I have never towed anything with my 1992 Holiday Rambler Imperial (460 cid), but we believe it may be something that we might need to do. The 2001 Range Rover manual that came with the vehicle states that it can be towed if the listed 7 steps (for towing 4 wheels down) are completed prior to towing. I called the the manufacturer and they stated that the vehicle should not be towed because the transmission will be damaged.

Now I don't know who or what to believe. Have any of you towed this year and model? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Along with the question about whether it is towable 4 wheels down, an equally important question is:

IS YOUR CHASSIS, HITCH AND (REPEAT AND) COACH RATED TO TOW THAT HEAVY A VEHICLE-- even with brakes on the Range Rover. Very doubtful. Remember, the lesser of the ratings dictates towing capacity.

Motor Home Net weight is 14,882. Max GVWR is 18,000. Max GCWR is 25,000. Range Rover is about 6,000. This is pushing the limit, but would be used on "straight and level" only. Will not be driving up hills of any substantial grade, nor will I tow for more than 300 miles. I will have to have CAT scales weigh both vehicles before making decision on whether to tow any vehicle or locally only. Motorhome is 20 years old. No slides, but still a nice, comfortable vehicle.