NEWF3

" A non-inverter powered outlet" on my motor coach..

I recently purchased an RV Automatic Generator Controller (EC-30W) produced by Onan for use on Onan generators. I have a 2011 Thor 42RQ Tuscany which I installed it on. One of the main requirements is that the EC-30W remote controller/display be plugged into a non-inverter powered outlet, " The EC-30W has an input to prevent the genset from automatically starting when connected to shore power. For this feature to be active, the cord supplied MUST be plugged into a non-inverter powered outlet."

I checked all my outlets to see if one was a non-inverter by unplugging shore power and using a plug in light. Well, all still work so I have none that are non-inverter operated, (battery to inverter to plug). Do manufacturers make any motor coach's these days with non-inverter plugs?

How would I go about making one outlet a non-inverter outlet? Is that possible or do I have to take it to a shop that would charge me $150.00/hr to make some sort of electrical modification?

Thanks,

See if you have two 120 VAC outlets in the back of the refrigerator (outside access area). If so, often one is not inverter powered.

Another alternative if you have a block heater outlet, it should not be inverter powered.

If neither of those work out, you can always wire an outlet from the main breaker box particularly if you have a blank place for an additional breaker.

Brett

Thanks Brett,

I'll check the refrig outlet. I have a residential refrigerator and know that when shore and gen power is off, the frig still runs. I do have a block heater. Does this have a typical plug outlet it is plugged into? I have never looked. On part 3, if I need to have any wiring done, I'd probably just take it to a shop as that would be more then I would feel comfortable doing.

Thanks for your time and advise.

Kevin

Kevin,

Many but not all block heaters are plugged into a regular style 120 VAC outlet. Easy to fine out-- just follow the wire from block heater (engine) to where it goes.

And, yes, if you are not competent doing 120 VAC wiring, have someone else do it.

Your coach maker should be able to tell you if/where non-inverter powered outlets are since they wired it.

Brett

Thank you once again Brett for your advise. You have given me enough information for me to make a decision on what I need to check and to do. :D

My coach breaker box clearly marks the inverter/non inverter circuits, in fact it is divided into two boxes. Brett is right, block heater is almost certainly non inverter. Another in mine was the washer/dryer (now removed). I use this receptacle for the vacuum now.