Sandy26289

RV'ing The New England States In Fall

Question

This is "Sandy" from NC. My wife and I are Newbies and want to travel the New England states in Sept-Oct.

We don't know where to start or how to start mapping our trip.

Any suggestions from you tried and true RVers?

We will be heading out from Morehead City, NC area. ???? <_<

2 answers to this question

Fall color starts in the far northern part of New England in mid to late September and peaks about two weeks later. Mid-October is more or less peak time near the White Mountains in New Hampshire and about a week later in southern New England. That said, the starting and peak times vary somewhat every year based on how much rain trees get during the year and how cold it is. Two spectacular areas to think about are the Kankamangas Highway in New Hampshire (southern edge of the White Mountain Range) and the Northern Berkshires (Mount Greylock area) in Massachusetts. Roads in both locations are winding and on the narrow side so camp nearby and use your toad for sightseeing. There will be a lot of other "leaf peepers" out sightseeing so campsites can sometimes be hard to get. Definitely make reservations for Columbus Day weekend now. Most New England campgrounds start closing after Columbus Day so plan accordingly.

We use I-81 and avoid New Jersey and metropolitan New York as much as possible. Pick up I-84 near Scranton, PA and follow it into Connecticut. Use I-691 to get onto I-91 south of Hartford, CT (I-84 through Hartford is a white-knuckle drive). After that either I-91 the rest of the way if you are going up into Vermont or pick up I-84 again in Hartford to go into New Hampshire or Maine.

For many years we hunted grouse and woodcock in Maine the first week of October. Usually that was early in the color cycle but still quite spectacular. A highlight of the trip was always spending a day at the Fryeburg Fair in Fryeburg, Maine. One of the largest fairs in New England and most enjoyable. Lots of RVers make the fair. I highly recommend making that a stop on your journey. Fryeburg is right on the New Hampshire border, very close to North Conway, New Hampshire. New Hampshire has no sales tax and as such, is an outlet mall shopping destination. Another great place to spend the day.

http://www.fryeburgfair.com/index.html

It's a great place to be in October........ enjoy your trip and be safe.