Sign in to follow this  
larryfaye@gmail.com

Generator; Only 2 plugs-ins work

Onan 5.5 gas generator starts OK. While plugged into a 30 amp Campground (Have 2007 Allegro 32ft, with 50 amp wiring) circuits blew out. After re-setting everything worked while plugged-in. Unplugging and turning generator on only 2 outlets worked. It has done this in the past but by the next day it worked OK. Tried re-setting breakers but no improvement. Any suggestions?

Thanks

:rolleyes:

Onan 5.5 gas generator starts OK. While plugged into a 30 amp Campground (Have 2007 Allegro 32ft, with 50 amp wiring) circuits blew out. After re-setting everything worked while plugged-in. Unplugging and turning generator on only 2 outlets worked. It has done this in the past but by the next day it worked OK. Tried re-setting breakers but no improvement. Any suggestions?

Thanks

:rolleyes:

What circuits blew-- in your coach, or the CG breaker? If in coach, did the 120 VAC breakers trip or what?

Have you checked your GFI(s). Push test and then re-set and see if this "fixes" it.

If one of the GFI's or GFI powered outlets is outside, check carefully for water intrusion causing a ground fault.

Brett Wolfe

Brett, The CG circuit tripped, I found only 1 GFCI (in the bathroom) & re-set it. Where outside would I look for another GFCI? When I re-started the Generator the same thing happened. Only the electrical outlet under the dinette (on the drivers side) & the 2 outlets by the bed (on the passenger side) work with the Gen on. All outlets work when plugged into shore power. Are there any test or electrial testers I could try?

Thank you very much for your kind re-ply.

Larry

Brett, The CG circuit tripped, I found only 1 GFCI (in the bathroom) & re-set it. Where outside would I look for another GFCI? When I re-started the Generator the same thing happened. Only the electrical outlet under the dinette (on the drivers side) & the 2 outlets by the bed (on the passenger side) work with the Gen on. All outlets work when plugged into shore power. Are there any test or electrical testers I could try?

Thank you very much for your kind re-ply.

Larry

Larry,

I ASSUME you have an ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch).

If so, both shore power and generator output come through the SAME wire from ATS to the 120 VAC breaker box. So unless ALL things that run off one of the hot legs from the generator are inoperative there should be NO difference between shore and generator IF the problem is somewhere in the coach.

If nothing powered by one of the hots works-- likely one A/C would not work as well as some of the outlets, it would indicate: one of the on-generator breakers tripped, a wiring problem between generator and ATS or problem in the generator itself.

Oh, and a lot of coaches have a second GFI in a basement. Do you have any outlets in a basement?

Please let us know what you find.

Brett Wolfe