scheinertms@comcast.net

Braking system trouble

I have a 1998 Georgie Boy CruiseMaster on a Chevy chassis. The other day, the electric park brake would not disengage. I checked out some fuses in the fuse panel in the engine compartment and, magically, the brake disengaged. When we stopped at a stoplight, we could smell a burning smell and some smoke leaving the engine compartment.

So, we stopped at a garage. They checked all fluid levels, and everything seemed okay. They did notice the smell and said it smelled like brakes. We were off to the campground and problem (brake) seemed to have cleared itself.

Coming home from the campground and after driving for about 45 minutes, the brake pedal started going down to the floor and the BRAKE light on dash came on. Normally, I would suspest the master cylinder, but I don't know enough about the braking system on this coach to know. And, I don't see anything that looks like a master cylinder in the engine compartment. HELP!

Assuming you have a P30 chassis, I would go over to irv2.com and rv.net and do a search on "autopark". You will find a bunch of info on the parking brake.

As I understand it the brake is spring loaded to lock and held open by the power steering pump pressure.

My P30 used a drum brake on the drive line right behind the transmission and not the regular brakes, so there should be no connection between the two systems.

The master cylinder can be seen from the drivers side wheel well or by removing the engine cover (doghouse) and looking at the front drivers side of the engine close to the top of the engine.

It sounds like you definitely have two separate problems - - One with the AutoPark, and another with the service brakes.

I'll be glad to help you with the AutoPark problem. You can contact me at oldusedbear@oemys-performance.com

I'd suggest that you disconnect (mechanically) the AutoPark system until you can get the service brake problem taken care of. We can send you info on how to do that disconnect too.

We'll look forward to hearing from you.

oldusedbear at the AutoPark Library.

It sounds like you definitely have two separate problems - - One with the AutoPark, and another with the service brakes.

I'll be glad to help you with the AutoPark problem. You can contact me at oldusedbear@oemys-performance.com

I'd suggest that you disconnect (mechanically) the AutoPark system until you can get the service brake problem taken care of. We can send you info on how to do that disconnect too.

We'll look forward to hearing from you.

oldusedbear at the AutoPark Library.

Glad to see you over here!

You are the guy I was hoping he would find with a search of the sites I mentioned.