Sign in to follow this  
brent08

Norcold Fridge Cooling Fins Frosting Up

The cooling fins on my Norcold 1210 im in my 2008 bounder frost up gradually from left to right until becoming totally frozen on the right.

A couple of minutes with a hair dryer and I 'm good for another week.

Does any one have any suggestions.

Brent,

First and foremost, welcome to the FMCA forum.

I'll bet the frost on your cooling fins results from moisture in the unit. Are the fins in both the freezer and the refrigerator compartments icing up, or just one side? One likely cause could be air gaps around the door seals -- letting air get into the unit. You might want to try the "dollar bill" test. Put a dollar bill on the face of the unit and close the door on the bill. If the bill slips out easily, the door is not sealing properly and adjustments or a new seal might be in order.

You'll need to test all around the door since the seals need to work all the way around. Let me suggest you make that test and let us know the results. If this doesn't solve the problem, we will take if from there.

Good luck,

Tim

Yes, some frost is normal. As Tim said, if the door seals are leaking, more humid air gets in and makes the speed of frost buildup quicker.

Another thing to check is the condensate drain-- it should have a restriction in the outside end of it. If not, you have an open tube allowing humid, hot outside air to enter the refrigerator.

There are some aftermarket fans that go inside the refrigerator and blow on the "coils". This reduces icing up. But, before looking for aftermarket solutions, do the dollar bill test on the door seals and check the condensate drain.

Tim,

Thanks for the reply and the welcome to the forum. I checked the door seals to some degree and felt they were ok. I will check closer tomorrow. the unit cools very well and the fins do not ice on the left side only right. It appears to me like when they defrost it doesn't allow enough time to clear all the fins. I wonder about the senser on the fins working properly.

Thanks,

Brent