mable

Awning Safety

I made a system similar to ClayL except I used 1/8 inch dia vinyl coated cable instead of chain, used pop rivets to attach the D ring to the roller and have a turnbuckle to adjust the tension in the coil spring. Works great.

I have seen one unfurled at a rest stop in WY. If the wind coming from the side is strong enough it can stll get under it and overcome the ratchet mecanism.

I have the metal wrap and use an awning lock.

I bought a used RV last January. It had a Dometic awning. Last week as I was driving from Mount Rushmore to Colorado, the awning came loose and unfurled, breaking one of the struts loose. I was on a desolate area of highway in Wyoming. Thank goodness another RV er stopped and helped me. He climbed up on the roof and detached the awning which had ripped loose from the roof. He and a Wyoming deputy sheriff assisted me in getting the awning inside the RV through the window. You cannot just dump it on the highway. Big time littering. I did find an RV park owner who took it off my hands. Scared the heck out of me. I am a 68 year old single RVing lady. I was lucky that the other RV gentleman helped me.