Sign in to follow this  
BretWayne

Caterpillar Coolant Treatment

I recently bought a Diesel Pusher with a 3126 Cat (1999). I see that it has no water filter. Being in the trucking business for over 30 years I'm aware that the 3406 engines of that time had a water filter to dispence a DCA treatment to prevent electrolysis from pitting the liners .

I have not been able to get a good answer as to add treatment such as Nalcool or add a water filter.

Any advice would be good.

BretWayne,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

The chassis maker decides whether to fit a coolant filter. The Caterpillar engine in our Foretravel has one, many chassis with the same motor do not.

As you know from your OTR trucking background, SCA's can be added as a liquid or by changing the coolant filters (they come with different amounts-- called UNITS of SCA).

My first question, if this is a recent purchase is how old is the coolant in there now and as importantly what coolant is it? At 13 years old, it is unlikely to be the original coolant chosen by the chassis maker (we sure hope not). It could be another "low silicate for diesel with added SCA" coolant, or it could be one of the new generation OAT-based coolants. If you don't know for sure, were it mine, I would replace the coolant now so you know what is in there and that it is properly protecting the cooling system.

Brett

Actually I am a big fan of the new generation OAT-based coolants. 6 year life, no SCA testing or adding! If you do your own labor it is less expensive than the three year change with standard diesel coolant. If you pay to have it done, it is a LOT less expensive (little more than half the labor over a 6 year period.