JohnQFWB

USAF Enlisted Airdales

I've been noting a differences in USAF Chevrons since I was in a long time ago (62 - 69). Back in my day there was up to 6 rockers down (A3C - MSGT) then one and two up (CMSGT & SMSGT). When and what changed???? Just an Old Testicle Sgt wondering.

Well, you know what they say "sometimes things change". I was USAF 64-68 and I know the chevrons you are talking about. My son is about to retire from USAF, 22 yrs, Msgt. The chevron change was made before he enlisted. I don't know why the change. Thanks for your service!!!

Well, you know what they say "sometimes things change". I was USAF 64-68 and I know the chevrons you are talking about. My son is about to retire from USAF, 22 yrs, Msgt. The chevron change was made before he enlisted. I don't know why the change. Thanks for your service!!!

I am USAF retired (SMSgt). they changed the chevrons about 4-5 years ago. Three on top, CMSgt, two on top, SMSgt, one on tor, MSgt. I enlisted in 1965, so I am familiar with the chevrons you mentioned.

They actually changed in 1996-1997. I retired as a SMSgt in 1990 and still have a hard time figuring the new ones out.

Changed in the '90's. I retired Jan 1, 1998 as CMSgt--I wore both stripes as they changed not long after I put on Chief. The reasoning was to make the USAF more like the other services as it was very confusing to them and the Gulf War saw more and more mixed or joint forces.