MONTIE

Sway Bars

I really do not like to drive my coach in a wind, evern a light wind, it seems I am alway correcting. I realize we drive a big box but I want to know if sway bars will decrease the effect of the wind. I have a 37' motorhome and have been looking into Roadmaster bars, if I decide to do this will it be necessary for front and rear.

Thanks

Montie

Montie,

Most of us are justifiably reluctant to give suspension advice without knowing what chassis they are dealing with and what condition some of the components are in.

What chassis do you have?

How many miles on it?

Wheelbase if you know it?

Are shocks OE, and do you know what kind you have? Any leaking or play in the bushings?

Are the factory sway bar (front and rear-- IF FIT) end links (polyurethane or rubber) in good shape with no play?

If you have wheel position weights or axle weights, post that along with the GAWR from the plaque near the driver's area.

How are the tires and are they inflated per tire manufacturers recommendations BASED ON YOUR ACTUAL WEIGHTS plus perhaps 5 PSI as a safety reserve?

The more information you provide, the better the advice.

The handling of many chassis IS improved by going to a sway bar or a stiffer sway bar, but let's make sure they are where you need to start to improve your handling-- could be that there are free or inexpensive things you can do to improve it before or along with going to a stiffer sway bar.

BTW I have Roadmaster sway bars on the front and rear of our coach and they DO help reduce sway.

Brett Wolfe

Sorry. Fleetwood Expedition, 37.5 ' I think the gross weight us 2,9000#. The tires are new Michelin with nitrogen. 20,000 miles on chassis. I have not checked the ends for wear, but I think it would not have much with 20K miles. With these questions, I feel I need a checkup at the freightliner dealer here.

Sorry, Fleetwood Expedition, 37.5 ' I think the gross weight us 29000#. The tire are new Michelin with nitrogen. 20000 miles, I have not checked the ends for wear but I think it would not have much with 20m miles. With these question I feel I need for a check up at the Freightliner dealer here.

Montie,

I'll send you a private message-- will be glad for you to give me a call and I can walk you through this. None of it is complicated. Hate to see you spend money until the free or very inexpensive things are done. THEN, you can make a more considered decision, knowing that you have covered the other bases.

I know it sounds more complicated, but just looking for a "silver bullet" to solve suspension issues is rarely a success without verifying all components are working as they should.

I just did a mechanical inspection on a coach on Friday. Complaint of wandering. Turned out it was a worn drag link-- you could move it over 1.5" side to side by hand! He could have spent a lot of $$ on aftermarket items and still not solved his problem.

You don't mention the year model of the chassis, but quite a lot of this chassis information is available on this Freightliner Website:

Freightliner Chassis Specs for Fleetwood products

Brett

Steve,

I like the concept of an adjustable "correct to center" for side wind or excessive cambered roads built into a steering dampener, but have not personally tested one.

What are the return to center forces compared with, say the SafeTPlus?

There is certainly a place for steering dampeners/return to center devices.

BUT, I suspect many are sold as band-aids to "correct" other suspension problems that perhaps should be addressed first/instead.

I wish there were a "silver bullet" to correct suspension issues. but my years in vehicle maintenance suggest that no such thing exists. Best answer is to start with the basics and only after making sure things like tire pressure, alignment, shocks, suspension components, etc are to specifications do you start looking for after-market solutions.

And indeed there are quite a few that DO make a significant improvement over Original Equipment.

Let's face it, just as in every other aspect of an RV (or any other product for that matter), manufacturers looked for cost cutting on chassis and suspension content. That leaves room for improvement in many chassis.

Brett Wolfe

Montie,

I'll send you a private message-- will be glad for you to give me a call and I can walk you through this. None of it is complicated. Hate to see you spend money until the free or very inexpensive things are done. THEN, you can make a more considered decision, knowing that you have covered the other bases.

I know it sounds more complicated, but just looking for a "silver bullet" to solve suspension issues is rarely a success without verifying all components are working as they should.

I just did a mechanical inspection on a coach on Friday. Complaint of wandering. Turned out it was a worn drag link-- you could move it over 1.5" side to side by hand! He could have spent a lot of $$ on aftermarket items and still not solved his problem.

You don't mention the year model of the chassis, but quite a lot of this chassis information is available on this Freightliner Website:

Freightliner Chassis Specs for Fleetwood products

Brett

Thanks Brett for the information on Fleetwood frames, I have not had time to look at the bars on the coach. The Freightliner dealer is next door to our office, they do all my service, I may just let them look at it but I will get back with you when I have the information you need. Thanks so much for the reply

We had a Safe-T-Steer added to our 2005 Winnebago Journey 39F two years ago, when we were in Quartzite. It is inexpensive and easy to install (four cast iron bits and four springs). We put it on as a safety feature, not to overcome any handling problem. The idea is that if we get a front wheel blow-out we should not loose control...hope never to find out. Anyway, we noticed an improvement in handling. The RV tracks straight ahead now with light pressure on the steering wheel and is somewhat easier to handle in gusty side winds.

Guest BillAdams

I have a Pevost bus conversion just wondering what I could put on to dampen the steering?

Our Prevost conversion has a factory installed steering stabilizer. You might want to check yours before you do anything.