GaryM

Any Campgrounds Around Pittsburg Airport ?

Trying to find out if there are any campgrounds in the area of Pittsburg airport, having a reunion there at airport hotel so need something

within commuting distance thanks

OK Gary,

I don't know the kind of motor home you have or what your standards for campgrounds are. The closest community with campgrounds for the airport according to my Garmin MapSource and the Trailer Life Campground Directory is Frankfort Springs, next closest is Beaver Falls and then Darlington, PA.

Frankfort Springs has one campground listed, Raccoon Creek State Park (888-Pa-Parks). it has 172 sites, 20x35 ft. size. and 50 amps. There is a dump station. If you are longer than 35, this won't work. Garmin shows the shortest distance from Frankfort Springs to the Airport road to be 13 miles and the fastest to be 17 miles.

Beaver Falls lists Harts Content Campground, 724-846-0005, 110 sites, 30 available (transient), 22x38' size, sites have water and electric 20/30A and water. There is a dump station.

Also at Beaver Falls, Shawnee Sleepy Hollow Campground, 814-733-4380, 76, 60 available, 4 pull throughs 55x80, back ins 45x50, sites have water and electric 20/30A and there is a dump station. Garmin shows the distance from Beaver Falls to the Airport road to be 27 miles by the shortest route and 31 miles by the fastest route.

Darlington has Crawford's Camping park (724-846-5964) listed with 20 sites available, 30x90 pull throughs and 30x50 back ins, 40 have water, 7 have sewer, 40 have electric 20/30 amps. Garmin shows the fastest route here to be about 31 miles and the shortest route to be 31 miles!

So there you have it. There is the usual disclaimer for variations in distance, these were calculated from city center, not the actual campground location. The Trailer Life Campground Directory is 1.5 years old (I get one every other year, alternating with Woodall's) so the information may not be entirely correct. Contact the park for specific up-to-date information and reservations. These locations were all to the NW of Pittsburgh. Since the airport is NW of Pittsburgh I would assume the easiest access to the airport would be from that direction. You may find some campgrounds closer to the southwest but would have to traverse what looks like urban traffic to get to the airport.

If there were anyone from Pittsburgh keeping up with this forum, you might get a better answer. I have never camped anywhere near Pittsburgh so this is the kind of information we use for selecting our campgrounds. We, Louise and I, are adventuresome. Sometimes we find a gem and sometimes we find a real dog. Louise loves dogs, the tail wagging kind. We avoid the other kind. Still, it is only for a weekend I assume so you can live with the dog if that is what it turns out to be. As long as you dress well and shower before you go to the reunion, who is to know where you are living.

Interesting that no one near Pittsburgh seems to need a sewer connection. Either no one there ever ... or maybe no one ever stays there long enough to ...

This is free advice for what it's worth!

P.S. Note to readers. Valuable resources: A Campground Directory (even if it is older) and a good mapping program. Google works but having one on the computer is so much faster and doesn't require an internet connection. Personally I find Trailer Life much more useful than the Woodall's Directory so even though I have a newer Woodall's, I didn't bother to dig it out because I wasn't being paid! We use it if we absolutely can't find anything satisfactory in the TL Directory. Woodall's doesn't give any indication of rates/prices on way too many of their entries. They do however occasionally have an entry that TL doesn't have. That's my opinion, I could be wrong.

Guest Wayne77590

Using Google, or Live.Maps.com (Now Bing maps) once you have your location on the map, in the "search Map" field type in RV PARK or CAMPGROUND (Try both one at a time) and you will get pop-ins for what you searched for.

Here is the downside. Web sites are searched by Google "BOTS," for inclusion into the Google Directory. So to get attention to their web site, designers are putting in keywords of what ever they want so you will get a lot of false hits, but you can follow the link to see if it has what you are looking for.