benny@waskomtexas.com

Call To Class B Owners

We have owned our 1997 Dodge Roadtrek 190 for three years. We traded our Chevy Avalanche for it. The Avalance was nearly brand new.

I had been toying with the idea of getting some type of small motorhome to use for travel, because I have some back trouble and could not sleep in hotel and relatives' beds. I really was hopping for something a little bigger.

I saw this Roadtrek advertised online and the selleer was only about 50 miles from my home. I asked my wife if she would like to go look at it. (She was not onboard for an RV yet.) We had not looked at any others at this point, but knew that we did not want anything big. We were not even interested in a "C" class rig.

I had called the Roadtrek owner a couple of times and looked up Roadtreks online. My wife had never seen one. I asked the seller if he would be interested in trading for our Avalanche. He did not know what an Avalanche was.

So, we agreed that my wife would drive to his house and we would talk and look at each other's ride. We met, looked them over, made a test drive, agreed to trade, went to our credit union, swapped titles and the deal was done.

Our Avalanche was almost new, with less than 10,000 miles. The Roadtrek had just under 40,000 miles and was very clean. He probably got the best deal as far as value, but we have never been sorry.

We have put almost 40,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. We have spent less than $2,000 on repairs and get about 15 miles per gallon. It is our home away from home. I sleep better in it than my bed at home. We have our own bathroom, which is great for me, I don't like public bathrooms. We just started using the shower. I could really use some suggestions on the shower curtain. We tore it the first time we used it. I pulled on the Velcro and it tore the curtain instead of releasing.

Let's use this forum. We can help each other a lot.

3 Aug 09 9:20

Hello, Friends!

Since I am still in the "working world", I am on the road with my "Baby Newell II" for just under one month per year. This pattern is one reason I have stuck with type-B coaches: I can prepare for a trip, winterize my coach and so forth in a short time. In addition, I take advantage of more interesting "byways" (state and county roads) and camping locations where larger coaches can not easily go.

In particular, the layout on the 1997-2000 Airstream type-B coaches leaves the rear and secondary passenger doors unsealed. This means that I can access my rear closet and galley storage >> from the outside <<: a big time-saver in packing and unpacking for a journey.

As to the shower curtain issue, I have one "snap answer" which might work: the small, stainless-steel snap fasteners used in some articles of clothing. They have eyelets around their edges, through which they can be stitched onto the top edge of the shower curtain, and then to the tabs on the shower-curtain track. They may hold better than the hook-and-loop fabric fasteners, and should not (being stainless steel) corrode and stain the curtain.

"Happy Cybercamping!"

Michael Canode, F13059S