Sign in to follow this  
roadtripper@mail.com

Low Bridges

I have recently had a few close calls with low bridges that could easily have resulted in a bad accident.

Does anyone know of a good GPS system or add-on for my Garmin that would give a low bridge warning?

Something like a speed camera POI list could work, but I can't seem to find anything.

Many thanks.

Guest Wayne77590

Trooper-D,

Do a search on "garmin low bridge poi" without the quotes - through Google and you will get all kind of hits.

Please do remember that POI databases are only as good as the person that input the information. With that said, I also try to look at a map of my route, and then check the America's Independent Truckers' Association, Inc.. It is updated and used by truckers. You could also use the information to pinpoint gps coordinates on a map and create a POI for the Garmin.

Good luck - happy trails.

Edited: As an add to Tom's post, try one of the major book stores and pick up the "Motor Carriers Road Atlas." It has all the information you need. Don't forget to watch for signs and clearances can change. When they resurface a road it can lower the clearance by 2 inches and the sign may or may not have been updated. So when close - check.

It isn't GPS but you can get a Truckers Atlas at Flying J for a reasonable price. All the truck routes are shown on the maps and there is a list by state of any routes that have low clearance. It works for the truck routes but if you get off those routes, then you'll have to rely on other resources. We've had a hand full of problems in eight years and we aren't on truck routes all the time, not even most of the time. Once you are off the truck routes you are pretty much on your own.

If you want to be sure a route is clear then you'll have to stick to the truck routes or inquire locally about the suitability of routes. Most non-truckers and non-RV'ers really can't answer that question because they don't give it a second thought traveling in their cars.