mario.lamarca

Towing 2013 Hyundai Accent with Manual Transmission

This may be helpful to others considering tow vehicles. I recently purchased a 2013 Hyundai Accent with manual transmission for the express purpose of towing four down. Information on the suitability of towing a manual Accent four down was scarce or contradictory, which caused me no end of frustration.

The manual completely ignores the issue of recreational towing and the dealer (and others I asked) gave me contradictory information. All I could find is a 2008 technical service bulletin which is generic to all Hyundai vehicles. My experience, based on one trip of about 3000 miles, is that there is no problem four-down towing a 2013 Hyundai Accent with manual transmission.

Place the car in neutral, key in ignition on ACC, hand brake off, radio and display off (even the clock does not display). I experienced no battery problems, no speed limitations and no transmission issues (so far!). There was no need to start the vehicle every so often. Blue Ox makes the base plate and suitable tow bar (I used Aladdin). It cost me about $2000 CDN to get it ready to tow.

I just purchased a 2013 Hyundai Accent for the primary purpose of 4-down towing. However, when we went to a local RV shop they quoted us $4000 to get it tow-ready. Did you do the work yourself? I would appreciate more details on your experience please. Thanks.

I did not do the work myself. The cost I quote included Blue Ox base plate and Aladdin tow bar, purchased new and installed at a local auto body shop, taxes in. It does NOT include any brake assist device for the Hyundai, which would have brought the total cost closer to the amount you quote.

I should specify that the work also included the 4-pin electrical hardware installation on the car for brake and turn lights, and that my Class A already had electrical and hitch installed, so no work was needed on the motor home.

I originally had a concern about having to drop the hitch receiver height on the Kountry Star in order to be within the recommended tow angle between car and motor home, but once everything was installed and hooked up I saw there was no need.

Boy did I get lucky. I am new to RV'ing and bought a Hyundai Genesis Coupe manual trans. just to tow 4 down. It was listed as towable but after I bought it I couldn't find a baseplate for it. So I called Blue Ox and they said they did not have one for the 2013 model but they would make one and install it for free if I would bring my car to them. Long story short, they made and installed it free, get me a new tow bar and installed all of the electric connections for $50, the cost of electric parts. I also bought a braking system for a 25% discount while I was there. Great deal if you have a car they need as a prototype.

Ed