gbaroni

Towing A 2013 Or 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Are there any four flat towing issues I need to be aware of before I trade my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee for a 2013 or 2014 ?

What is the best way to wire the Jeep for flat towing ---- just have the turn signals and stop / running lites wired? Why don't you also wire the side marker lites/parking lites?

Is there a 'plug' you can buy to tie into the jeep wiring system to connect the lites up? I know there are different plugs you can buy to wire up a tow car to connect lights to a trailer vs. splicing wires.

Thank you.

I don't imagine there are any problems towing the Cherokee but just check the owners manual at the dealer, don't trust a salesman....

The newer jeeps don't have a locking steering wheel so you can lock the doors after you put the transfer case in neutral and trans in park. I used a blue ox wiring kit that has seperate tail/ brake/signal lights installed in the rear taillight assemblies...there are others that tap into the vehicle lights but I preferred seperate lights, now when I apply the brakes with the Patriot brake system in the jeep, I get 2 sets of brake lights,,,,,can't miss that!

Campcop, thank you for your reply. I am going to look on line for those blue ox wiring kit you mentioned. I don't want to tap into the jeep wiring on a new vehicle.

I did not know the new jeeps steering wheel does not lock. Took it for granted they did as cars have done so since teh early 1970's. I too tow with a blue ox tow bar system.