fnlatch

Generator Stopping

I have a 7500 watt diesel, 2004 new with 465 hours.

Changed oil, air and fuel filters. Still shuts down after couple hours.

Get code 3, 33, 36, 37. will restart after holding in stop position for 1 minute plus.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

fnlatch, Welcome to FMCA!

#3 low level fault code, read high level codes.

#33 High engine temperature code. Check coolant and load on generator.

#36 fuel issue, pick up level of fuel to low. This is a point where the fuel in the tank is not available for the generator, this is so you do not run out of fuel to get to a gas station.

#37 Invalid Generator configuration have unit checked at service center.

So with that information, is you fuel gauge below 1/4 tank? and or are you running a heavy electrical load in hot weather?

If not then code #37 needs to be addressed.

Rich.

I was having a similar issue that turned out to be the fuel pump. Which actually was not too bad, as the tech at the RV Shop thought, from my description, my carb may have been varnished over. Which would have cost much more.

Rich

Everything (coolant, oil, filters) have been changed on a regular schedule. The fuel is 3/4 or more. The last time I had just topped off. Twice it stopped showing code 3. During night it stopped, warm enough that ac was needed, but not oppresive. It is running at 33 -35 amps. I have not had a tech look at it, Will do for code 37.

Thanks to all replys.

Fred L

Fred.

Thanks for your feedback!

Intermittent problems are hard to find and from your information regarding Codes 33 and 36. That kind of puts them to rest.

One more item you could check is under the access cover located just above the circuit breaker and start / stop switch. One screw to remove to open it. Under it are 3 fuses. The one to look for is F1=10 amps. F2=10 amps ,but is the starter fuse and F3 is 25 amps and is for the glow plugs.

My thinking is maybe the fuse and connection point(s) is loose or corroded and contact is lost, should power to the Control module get interrupted it would shut down. So looking and cleaning the contacts and fuse might be worth the time.

Codes can be set when the sensors fail or the connections related to those items become corroded or loose. In your case with multiple codes one would start to think a common problem to both.

The other big one is the ground connections, but if its under the covers, checking them is a bear !!

Hope these thoughts help and Good luck

Rich.